• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer AVIC-X3 – Sat Nav – Upgradable?

ek_1986

Standard Member
Hi all,

In the process of replacing my 3 year old Kenwood DVD head unit and am considering a Pioneer.

As labelled, Is the Pioneer AVIC-X3 sat nav upgradable? If so, how? Would I be tired into buying another Sat Nav disk from Pioneer only? I am guessing its not a hardware upgrade.

Having researching into the various models Pioneer offer, I have managed to narrow it down to two models –

Pioneer AVIC-X3 - AVIC-X3 - Pioneer Product Archive

Or –

Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD - AVH-P5000DVD - Pioneer Product Archive

Firstly does the Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD has inputs for a Ps2? I couldn’t see any info on AC inputs on their website but wonder whether anyone knows on here.

Which model of the two would you recommend? I’m sure whether the AVIC-X3 is worth the extra money but would be handy to put the TomTom away. My only issue is that you cant use the Sat Nav whilst listening to music.

Thanks in advance guys!

IANOLIVER

Established Member
The AVIC is your best bet.

The AVIC-X3 came with the CNDV70 red navi discs which can be updated but only with a Pioneer disc.
The current model is the AVIC-X3 II. This comes with the latest CNDV80 lime green discs.
You can use the sat nav while listening to music if its from the radio or Ipod but obviously not from disc unless you have a CD changer as well.

Wh05apk

Established Member
I've got a d3, sat nav is ok, tmc function is nice, don't forget you can also get an ipod connection, which is controlled from the screen.

Kahlo

Novice Member
apology for resurrection of an old thread. We have just purchased a motorhome with a AVIC x3 .
in the glove compartment there is a ipod connection lead, and I was hoping to find out if the AVIC x3 is compatible with the IPOD classic. when i connect it recognizes the ipod but gives an AO error
Any help would be very much appreciated

ipod classic is according to serial number :
late 2008 /7th generation according to wiki (6th generation!!
Intro.September 9, 2008*

Disc. September 9, 2014

Model A1238 (EMC 2173)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom