1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer avic x1

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by king6897, Aug 18, 2004.

1. king6897

king6897

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a Pioneer avic x1 and if so what are they like I am about to buy one and would like to know the good and bad points from people who own them rather than people who sell them?

2. beoswene

beoswene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There KING6897.

I dont have an avic x1 yet, but i do have a similar Pioneer sat nav system.

Its the 7500 dvd/avic 800 dvd combination.

Avic 800 dvd lives safely in the boot with sat nav dvd.

This is a very similar system to the avic -x1.

Have used the sat nav for about a year now. Very easy to use - touch screen with large "buttons". Very slick!

Highly accurate, havent managed to get lost yet!

Wouldnt be without it,considering the avic x1 for my elise.

As far as i can tell, the only major disadvantage of the x1 is having to remove the sat nav dvd everytime you wanted to listen to a cd.

You probably know the sat nav dvd costs ~£300 to replace, so you would want to be very careful with it.

Obvious advantage is that it is a 2 box design so relitavely simple to install in dash.

Not an easy job however, more tricky than a headunit, the unit requires a speed pulse signal from the car as well as other fiddly bits, so best left to a professional installer.

Beo

3. king6897

king6897

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beo,

Thank you very much for that reply it was most helpful, still undecided and I am glad you told me about the nav dvd I didn't know it cost £300 best not scratch it then.....

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have an X1 and am very pleased with it. It could be a pain swapping the disk, but it actually stores your route in memory once it has worked it out, so you can still get route guidance. I love the "3D drivers view" display, and have also been impressed with how quickly it can recalculate a route if you go wrong. The TMC-Traffic info is also great - leats you know of any hold-ups on your route (it even tell you what's causing the delay, including different icons for different accident types).

Be aware of the cost of further Pioneer goodies e.g. the Pioneer DVD changer retails for around £900 here, and their 8" rear screen isn't too far off that price either (I bought my extras (except the TV tuner) from the USA for half the price).

5. Nitrox

Nitrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m interested in buying an avic-x1 but before I do I’m trying to find out how big the hideaway unit is, and how easy it is to install the wiring.

Does anyone know where you can download the manuals i.e. installation, operation and navigation manuals in a PDF file.

I also have a question for those who already own an avic-x1. when you have selected a route and downloaded it to the memory, am I correct in believing that not only the actual route is saved but a five mile radius of the route of map data is save allowing rerouting if deviating off route?

Also what is the size of the navigation DVD, i.e. can it be backed up onto a single layered DVD or double layered DVD? I take it this would be allowed seeing you own the original DVD, using a backup DVD would take a lot of worrying out of scratching the original.

Thanks for any help in advance.

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
  7. Nitrox

Nitrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crocodile thanks for your reply.

I would be interested to know what disappointments you had with your Pioneer and if there were any major problems you encountered.

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Rather than repeating my previous rant you can read it here. As far as I can tell, even given the full display potential of the AVIC-X1's TFT, you will still have the same limitations regarding display of CD/DAB/RDS text. Given that Evoke can implement a full scrolling display on a £99 unit I think this is unforgiveable at this price level. Can you imagine buying a plasma screen with tuner & then finding that you can only read teletext one line at a time? What made this all the harder to swallow was Pioneer's attitude to me as a dissatisfied customer who had been buying Pioneer ICE for 25 years. I wrote to them asking to sanction a refund via the dealer. This was initially ignored & then refused point blank on the basis that the unit was working as intended. All hail the chocolate teapot maker. The dealer also made attempts at resolution with Pioneer & his requests were also ignored.

Returning to the AVIC-X1 - £300 for a DVD? Given that you can buy PDA based SatNav software such as Tom Tom for around 1/3 of that methinks they're taking the P*SS - again.

Off topic but I have read elsewhere on the forum that owners of Pioneer Freeview boxes have asked when their software will be updated to support current services. The answer to date appears to be "never"....

9. Nitrox

Nitrox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for your help crocodile, after reviewing the manuals and your comments regarding the reading of text, this unit is not for me.

Reading the manuals I find that you cannot search for any destinations etc. while moving, you have to actually stop, in my case this would be a real pain.

10. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    I would imagine searching/entering destinations while mobile would be extremely difficult unless the screen was exceptionally clear. It would certainly not be possible (safely) on a portable/PDA device. One product that I know can be used safely while mobile is Traffic Master's SmartNav. There's no screen with this system, you simply press a button to call an operator via a cellphone link & tell them where you want to go. They then download a route to the SmartNav box & you receive verbal instructions. It also has ability to re-route based on Trafficmaster's live data. I put one in the missus' Corsa after she first passed her test & it has worked well. Details here.

11. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    You can control every function of your X1 including route guidance whilst moving with the voice control pack - I got mine for £20.

12. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd heard that the X1 is quite noisy. It has fans in the head unit and the separate box. Is this right? How does the noise compare to the AVIC-905HVT which I was thinking of getting? I was going to put the nav unit under the seat so fans in there aren't really a problem. Thanks

13. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    hmmmmmmm, I was going to get one of these but I didn't realise there was another external box, thought it was all in one!! Also sound like quite a pain to fit with it requiring speed sensor input, handbrake input etc!!!

Has anybody got one and installed themselves? Not to keen to pay somebody £150 to do it if it isn't that hard!

Cheers

Chris

14. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's a forum here for the Pioneer unit:
    http://www.avicx1forums.com/forum/index.php?sid=329747fcf709aab52e609f8a017b9d50

Seems like a lot of owners are unhappy with out-of-date info on the DVD. I believe the best system is really the Alpine one - I think they make the systems fitted by Mercedes etc, or at least they use the same data. Also the Alpine has a separate drive for the satnav DVD in the second box (which is about the same size as the Pioneer's second box - dunno why Pioneer market theirs as a one-box system). The Alpine system costs about £1,600 for the satnav unit plus the DVD touchscreen head unit. I haven't been able to find a forum about Alpines unfortunately (could that be because there aren't any major problems with them?).

There's a lot of information on installations on the above site too, some of which would be relevant to other makes.

One thing I'd be interested to know from people who have these systems: can you work out a route yourself and program it in, or do you just have to go for one of the options the system gives you?

15. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Alpine IVA-D310R + NVE-N099P. You can't programme routes manually but if I decide I don't like any of the 3 choices it offers me, I just add an intermediate destination.

I've only found a couple of out of date locations in the UK, but a lot more in France. However, Alpine have just released a new disc (Z002) which may fix some of these.

16. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it fairly easy to add an intermediate destination on the Alpine - do you have to know it's postcode?

Are you pretty happy with the Alpine overall?

17. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can add points by address as well, or even just town/city name.

18. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can you add points using names of villages?

19. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, as long as it's on th DB.

20. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can add intermediate destinations in lots of ways. Town name, address, petrol station, motorway junctions.

In general I'm very happy with the system. iPod browsing leaves a lot to be desired and it occasionally makes some odd routing choices but I've never regretted buying it.

21. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you don't want the system to give you route directions, can you just leave it on and have it display your location on the map while you're driving around?

22. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Marcus you can, I have used lots of GPS systems and this is one of the the most user friendly, it's only downside is no speed camera locations although you could put them in as points of interest.

CJ agree on the Ipod front but a work around is just make loads of playlists and use ratings.

23. mcbunny

mcbunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i had the x1r and it was the worst thing i have ever used i had it 2 months and lost 400 on it trying to get shot of it

24. khalilk

khalilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has any one installed used , lived with kenwood dvd satnav unit
    how do these compare with the rest
    any thoughts ideas

regards KK

25. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the Alpine satnav unit installed yesterday, but there's one thing I don't understand.

On the way back home, I noticed I was running very short of petrol, so I tried to get the satnav to direct me to the nearest petrol station. I went into petrol stations in POI, but I couldn't see how to get them listed by distance from me (i.e. nearest one first etc.). It only seemed to list all the stations in a city (not much help in London!) or in a particular postcode (not much use either).

Does anyone know how to get it to direct you to the nearest petrol station?

26. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try using "Local POI" rather than "POI". It should then sort them by distance from you. Under the Local POI screen, there's also a button marked "On route" which will find the next petrol station on you current route. Handy

27. FubarNo1

FubarNo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the Avic-900 (800 computer + 7500 screen) had it for 2 years now and in all honesty the only problem I have with it is when the DVD gets condensation (cold nights warm mornings) on it, then I have to remove the disk and give it a quick wipe (pain in the arse because I have it in a transit) but for guidance and accuracy its been spot on every time, this is without the speed pulse wire connected (no-one seems to be able to tell me what wire the speed-pulse is on the rear of the dash, this includes Ford, you would think you were asking them a closely guarded secrete)

Yes the disks do cost £300 but also available sometimes on ebay for £10, they are duel layer disks.

I connected my handbrake sense directly to an earth and it works fine,

my only other complaint is from moaning Betty, just like any other woman she sometimes decides not to hear what you say, or decides you said something entirely different (this could be because its quite noisy in a transit) I find sometimes it is quicker to type the changes directly on the screen, especially when voicing post codes

Alpha....wait for her to repeat it..bravo...wait for her to repeat it..one wait for her to repeat it...you get the idea :)

Ease of Installation........ the hardest part is finding out what wire does what in the vehicle, once you have those details basically anyone could install these units (as easy as installing a new radio)

28. 69ocean69

69ocean69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to let you know guys im selling the disks you buy for £300 quid for 35 quid each ok if u want 1 let me know at badman5@hotmail.com

also i have 4 avic x1's in stock which i am selling for £600 quid each LET ME KNOW IF YOUR INTERESTED OK!!!!! :):clap:

29. Steve Hammond

Steve Hammond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    To be honest I dont have any complaints with my avic X1r which I have had for around three months now.
    Previous to that, I had a U.S. version of the Blaupunkt Chicago flip out head unit. Comparing the two, I am sooo much happier with the pioneer unit, which needs no seperate navigation cd player which the blaupunkt did. Pioneer was a lot easaier to install, cheaper to add accessories to, FAR easier to operate (with pioneer being touch-screen, the blaupunkt came with remote handset for head-unit AND a remote handset for the navi-unit)
    Best thing I ever did was get shot of the Blaupunkt product (which did actually also break after 1 month of use with cd's / dvd's starting to jam in the head-unit mechanism.
    I would heartilly recommend the avic x1r, as have had no grumbles with it at all!!

30. smithy318i

smithy318i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the X1 head unit can be used without the hide away unit attached?