Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB

Wahreo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get one of these out?

There's a bezel round the head unit which I'll post a pic of later but I did try and was afraid it would crack. It's a kind of space reducer so that the unit fits into the gap I have.

I'm also after the firmware for the unit but I can't for the life of me find it on the pioneer website.

If it's anything like my Pioneer double DIN the bezel just clicks into place. I can remove mine by sticking my fingernails in the outside edge in the middle and pulling up slightly.
Once the bezel is removed you'll probably need keys to release it which slide into slots on either side and release the catches. You could probably improvise but the keys are a couple of quid on eBay.

I assume these are what you've found already? AVIC-F960DAB - Software & firmware downloads - Pioneer UK
What makes you think you need to update - I went through hoops to do mine, which is very tense only to discover that both files were up to date so all I really did was reset the clock :)

Many thanks for the reply, I think I'll invest in the keys!

I want to update as the new firmware has Apple CarPlay, so a big difference.

Pioneer don't have the files up, it's an error on their part. They are sending me the update direct. They didn't even realise they weren't on the website!!

It was on their site but has gone missing since the site was updated. The update is easy to do, takes about 5 minutes. You must use USB 1 input.

Still no firmware from Pioneer. Not one of their Car units can be updated until they've sorted out the website. Pretty shocking really.

Anyway, here's the unit, any advice on removing would be good, I've not actually tried yet, I will do though :-

image.jpg

As above - the bezel between the protuding unit and the larger rectangular panel inset in the dash will simply unclip with a very small amount of pressure from behind. If you can't do it with your fingernails I'd be surprised but then you'll need to use something to gently lever it out.
I bought a set of trim removal tools as I had to tear down the dash in my GTi to extract the original factory VW unit and they made it very easy with no scratches but I doubt you need them.

Once that bezel is off there are two channels on the sides level with the middle of the unit. Push a removal key down into both to release the clips and carefully slide the unit out to the front.
I used these keys PC5-80 PIONEER JVC STEREO RADIO PIN UNIT RELEASE REMOVAL EXTRACTION FITTING KEY

Take care not to scratch the dash as the back may be a bit sharp. Be careful you don't strain any cables or disconnect anything, it will be heavier than it looks!
Work out how you're going to support the unit while you plug USB drives in as you'll need to power it up and apply the Pioneer control+alt+del equivalent to get it to do the trick. I put a cloth over the gear lever and rested it there.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom