PIONEER AVH-P5900DVD advice please

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by dunkz2006, Feb 11, 2009.

1. dunkz2006

dunkz2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone well im new to the site today and am after some advice on the above Head unit which iv just purchased

Well basically my current Kenwood HU has usb input which i cant live without now so iv purchased the pioneer and and going to get the cd-ub100 interface so i can continue to put my music onto so first up where is the cheapest place to get these please? and secondly my new unit supports divx and was wandering with the usb interface fitted will it allow me to play divx movies from my usb stick like i do with my home system or maybe even through an ipod as it is a "built for ipod" unit also

any help would be great and thanks in advance

Dunkz

2. IANOLIVER

IANOLIVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I can't comment on who is the cheapest to go to but can tell you that the CD-UB100 is an audio device only and does not handle video. The AVH P5900DVD only supports divx via disc.

3. dunkz2006

dunkz2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right thanks for that info Ian, well i did see a little write up last night that seemed to suggest id be able to watch video through an ipod from what it said do you know if this is true? cheers :smashin:

4. IANOLIVER

IANOLIVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes you can watch video through the ipod but I'm not sure which ipods are fully compatible. You will need the CD-I200 lead.

5. dunkz2006

dunkz2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Ian

Does anyone know what ipod are fully compatible with this unit please?

6. darrenhbk4

darrenhbk4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My ipod nano (i think 2nd gen the metal one) and my ipod touch works fine on it. If you have a touch make sure you update it fully as it wont get recognized:smashin:

7. dunkz2006

dunkz2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ah thanks for that Darren i do really like the touch but wasnt going to get one as it said on one of the sites it has compatibilty issues with the touch and a few others. but seing as yours is fine with the upates i may go for one now cheers mate :smashin:

8. darrenhbk4

darrenhbk4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just be careful that you dont leave it on screen lock (the ipod touch) as when i turn the ignition on (2nd click before engine turnover) the headunit starts playing etc.. but when i turn the car on the ipod keylock comes on and makes the pio go into "error 11" which will flash on the screen :mad:

To stop this either take the lock on the ipod off completly or do what i do and put the face on the pio AFTER you turn the car on.

9. dunkz2006

dunkz2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Darren il bear that in mind when i fit it tuesday :smashin:

10. thedozyone

thedozyone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have one of these units

Does anyone know which format video files work on this?

i.e. resolution, bitrate etc?

I've tried a few which didn't work.

Thanks

11. Nomal

Nomal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not surprised to hear your video files don't work either thedozyone, I've tried a few on mine as well. As a whole I'm very unimpressed with the whole Pioneer experience and would happily throw mine back to Japan in a Jiffy bag containing anthrax :mad:

I brought mine from a seller clearly in the states at under U.K. price, due to my lack of foresight I ended up paying £99 import tax+charges, waited months for it, then on gettin it, fired it up to find the FM tuner goes up in .2's so I only get odd numbers, that's OK to a degree as Radio 1 is the only FM station I give the time of day to and it's .3 Being it partly my own fault I tried a DVD which again doesn't work as it's locked to region 1 and I can't unlock it, again down to my lack of foresight :oops: so I moved onto my MP3 discs all with 10 albums on, all played perfectly fine (bar the FOREVER delay in loading as all Pioneer units seem to have) on my previous P-series "racing car -OEL" displayed 6400R and even these DON'T PLAY reliably! I get through the 1st 1/3rd of the disc and the further out of the disc the beam gets and the warmer the head unit gets the less and less it plays, resulting in my not being able to get anything, I just get ERROR something come up, or even unreadable disc at times, yet put the same disc in my old H/U, Families cars or home Hi-Fi and they are all fine! So at this point, I can't play DVDs, Radio or my MP3 CD's! Trying to keep my -£500 spirits up I tried dabbling with the Dvix/AVI files.. burnt them to disc.. slapped it in and only some of them play! Doesn't seem any logic I.E. certain file size or file name or quality.. just if it can be arsed, I renamed a file once and tried it and that same file then did work! Tried it with the others and they didn't.

So a month or so on and somewhat narked but still sticking with it, I spunked MORE money on the USB CD-100 thing which was another £80/90! Thinking this would be the end of my hassle as I would no longer need the useless CD player that comes with this thing! And sure enough, MP3 work OK, fast to load once booted up and selected on screen and play faultlessly, HOWEVER, like said on this thread the USB does not recognise anything other then music files!! What's the point in that!? It doesn't say this on any of the adverts you read for this USB adaptor! It also takes a month to get to the album you want to play as there is no I-Drive type menu wheel thing so you end up endlessly pressing down for 10 minutes trying to go from A (or Z) to M! Grrrrr. I hate this thing for day-to-day motoring, I much prefer the MP3 Sony (of all makes!) head unit I brought my GF for Xmas, USB slot in front, whack a USB stick in without all the wiring of an external box needing many wires and it's fast as hell! So much easier, as for if and when we ever did want a DVD in there, buy a cheap pocket/7" dash mounted external one.
    And don't even ask me about Pioneer Customer Services. NEVER again will I ever buy Pioneer.. they have seen to that more then this equipment has!

12. Aiesb70

Aiesb70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a pioneer avh p5900 DVD unit all working fine how ever the screen does not close/fold back in does anyone no what the problem could be