Pioneer AV v Soundbar?

RascallyGnat

Novice Member
I have an old Pioneer VSX-519V AV receiver, 5 Jamo speakers (2 fronts, 2 rear and centre) with a sub on the side supporting 5.1 of course.

However I have never set up the rear speakers in my room and can't be bothered running the speaker wire and mounting them.

Now that i've upgraded and wall mounted my TV to a 65" Bravia. I'm looking at whether i should stick with the Pioneer and Jamo speakers or move to a Soundbar, and if so, which one in the $500-600AUD range

Thanks

CaptainJames

If you aren't going to use 5.1, then you might as well go down the soundbar route. It will look neater and probably sound better than your current set up, particularly if you use a sub with it and get one with Atmos. Can't help you with Aussie prices and availability I'm afraid.

gibbsy

Unless you are prepared to connect up the surrounds you will be missing the immersive audio that a properly connected 5.1 system can produce. No soundbar can get anywhere near that performance. I'll disagree with the Captain as a good stereo system with speakers can sound better than the soundbar because the speakers themselves will be bigger and the amplification better. Music is the big let down with soundbars because of separation.

If you want to go for convenience and neatness then go for the soundbar.

RascallyGnat

Novice Member
Thanks for the input. I think maybe i'll stay with the 5.1 even if the surround speakers are sitting sitting next to the fronts atm.... do you think it worth getting some wireless surround speakers and then i won't need to run the speaker wire?
I must say that the speakers on the TV are absolutely hopeless.. you can hear it but i find myself always putting subtitles on when there is any background noise from kids or others in the room.
Hence my post in the forum. :clap:

CaptainJames

Thanks for the input. I think maybe i'll stay with the 5.1 even if the surround speakers are sitting sitting next to the fronts atm.... do you think it worth getting some wireless surround speakers and then i won't need to run the speaker wire?
I must say that the speakers on the TV are absolutely hopeless.. you can hear it but i find myself always putting subtitles on when there is any background noise from kids or others in the room.
Hence my post in the forum. :clap:
You would still need to run a power lead to the "wireless" speakers. Why the reluctance to wire up the rears? A bit of discreet trunking can work wonders.....

RascallyGnat

Novice Member
You would still need to run a power lead to the "wireless" speakers. Why the reluctance to wire up the rears? A bit of discreet trunking can work wonders.....
maybe i have to bite the bullet and do it.. I have a flat roof so might be hard but time to suck it up and get my hands dirty maybe... I already have to run the hdmi's and optic cable up the wall to the tv so i might as well run speaker wire at the same time

Rambles

Distinguished Member
maybe i have to bite the bullet and do it.. I have a flat roof so might be hard but time to suck it up and get my hands dirty maybe... I already have to run the hdmi's and optic cable up the wall to the tv so i might as well run speaker wire at the same time
Flat roof?? Running the speaker wire around the floor / skirting board and putting the rear speakers on stands is all that is required.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom