1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AV Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by megson, Jun 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi

Considering upgrading my Yamaha 620 AV amp to cope with a better quality speaker package ie M&K K series or Xenons.

Was considering the Pioneer 2011 but appreciate from browsing the forum that I'm more likely to find Lord Lucan riding Shergar than I am a dealer stocking that particular amp!!

I know all about the Denon 3803 but was wondering if there was any news on a Pioneer replacement. If there is a replacement on its way then I may be persuaded to wait a while.

thanks in advance

Megson

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I saw a thread somewhere about the replacement but I think it was a rumour more than anything else and even if it is true the thread suggested it would no be availble here before next year.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As you may have noted the 1011 is highly rated (being nearly the same as the 2011) - a number of dealers have stock of this amp.

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Spoke to my local dealer about the 2011 as a friend wanted to get hold of one. There are still shipments coming in june, jul and aug. So you should be able to get hold of one. September might be the date for the replacement but there was no confirmed news and it might even be later.

5. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pio. 2011 is in short supply but lots of place's are advertising them and they do occasionally get them! in Oxford all the Audio shops that sell the 2011 have sold everyone they will get for the next 4 months but occasionally your lucky! and if you can cope with doing lots of ringing around checking the internet and magazine's then you should be able to get one. Its depends on how much you want it :)
    In What HiFi there are loads of adverts advertising the 2011 and they do have them in stock occasionally you may be lucky.
    It is a conspiracy though in what HiFi at the moments for the past two issue's the 2011 has been heavily advertised this month alone there must 30 picture's of it!!! It is a very good amp damn good amp. But so is the competition.
    I was fortunate to audition a 2011!!

Evo

6. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks Chaps

regards

Megson

7. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know if you manage to get one and from where?
    Its a very popular amp but still why is it companies like Pioneer and Sony suffer from short supply? The Sony STR555 was the same!

Evo

8. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Megson

I spoke to Pioneer direct and they confirmed the shortage in the UK. Of even more interest they said the replacement will not be as good as the 2011 and so I should hold out for this!! I have it in writing!!

9. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    If you are still after the 2011, i believe unbeatable have them at a very good price, and actually had a couple in stock last week. Might be worth a try.

Ricky

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously? Is the replacement significantly cheaper or something?
    I can't believe Pioneer would undo all the work they've done with the 2011 by replacing it with something less good - I mean, if that's the case, why replace it at all?

Although I always suspected they couldn't have been making much money on the 2011...

11. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It is a bit surprising and I don't think it was a sales ploy to take my cash ASAP. As I said it was sent to me as an email so I have it in writing! They obviously know something we don't about the 2011 ......or perhaps the new model will be stripped down as you suggest.

12. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Ricky
    Many thanks for the pointer on unbeatable tried to phone the on sat but couldnt get through so sent an email on Monday night and they phoned me back today - 2011 in stock will be with me tomorrow !! and they price match + 10% too !!!!!!!!!!

13. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cheers y'all

Megson

14. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Talked with Pioneer the new amp iscalled the AX3 or was it AX5 due in September/ October dont know if itsgoing to sounds any worse though.
    Just ordered my 2011 today and demo'd it last week its not too bad at all. I thought the treble was slightly high and the mid range was missing slightly compared to the Harmon Kardon but in AV mode rather than HiFi it sounds great a real get up and go. Didnt like the denon sounded confused in hi fi mode and not much better in AV. If HK would make a nice looking amp some day I might be tempted to buy one also if it had all the features the Pioneer had it would be even better.
    Anyway will twiddle my tumbs for approx 2.5 weeks before I get my Pioneer hopefully, at a very reasonable price also with a nice set of rear monitor audio bi/ di pole speakers.

Quick question though where do I position the rear speakers ????? any one !! I mailed Monitor Audio they never bothered to mail back, thats not very good customer care, mind you I had told them I had already bought them maybe a mistake.

Thanks for any info given.

Davy

15. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just had a call from my wife to say that my 2011 has arrived at home!! Thanks to YumYum33 who put me on to 'Unbeatable' earlier in this thread. From the web site it seems that they're out of stock again now!

I'll be quiet for a few days while I play but I'll eventually post my opinion.

Jeff

16. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered online at Unbeatable last Thursday and got it yesterday (Tuesday).
    All seems well so far.....Bigger than I was expecting. Its almost the size of a broadcast Sony Beta SP machine!
    £681+£8 P&P
    Rick:clap:

17. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Davy

Your 2011 will come with a slim manual, part of which contains nice diagrams on speaker placement.

Unfortunately, the recomended speaker positions for 7.1 movie viewing (2 speakers to the side directly in line with viewing position and two rears to the back) are incompatible with those recomended from surround audio dormats such as DVD-A etc. (only two surrounds placed in rear corners) :rolleyes:

I've placed my B&W DS6 dipoles to the sides directly in line with seating and the pair of 601s to the rear. This works very well with movies and "synthetic" surround processed modes from the receiver (7-D Surround!) but I have not had an opportunity yet to test this set-up with multi-channel music. I suspect the DS6s will let me down as they are frequency limited and produce a disperse soundfield. We'll see....

Hope that helps somewhat.

Peter

18. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers peter mind you, you said slim manual is that a bit of Irish sarcasim i here in your note I thought the manual was supposed to be a wolliper.

Anyway back to twiddling my thimbs and waiting for the arrival date from 7oaks.

Where in Ireland did you get your amp ? you North or South ?

Davy

19. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Davy,

I found the manual to be less than perfect. There's a lot of fluff in it about decoding and processing formats bbut no real substance in that regard. The actual usage sections are reasonably well written and comprehensive but I feel there is a lack of technical information overall in it.

I live in Southern Ireland and got my receiver quite soon after they were released (I had ordered based on specs. alone). I'm fortunate in that my father-in-law owns an electrical store and so can get very good deals on a/v gear (limited suppliers though - Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Denon, Mission etc. - anything more exotic and I've got to look elsewhere, and then I feel guilty!!!!!)

Enjoy the 2011 when it arrives!

Peter

20. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheer Peter,
    Still twiddling thumbs, I am originally from the North thats why I was asking thought you might have bought it up there in one of the few Hi-Fi shops there are, mind you Glasgow is pretty slim on the number of decent shops also but has improved in the last few years including Loud and Clear and for bargins 7oaks. I still havent had a reply from Monitor Audio of where to placemy rears so I think its phone time today.

Thanks again

Davy

PS Thats some setup you have on the web page dont think I would have a problem setting up in there !!

21. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi Chaps,

So did we get anywhere on the speaker positioning as my 2011 should be arriving in a couple of days :D and i am going to be running a 5.1 set up for the time being.

So speakers on the sides or directly behind in the corners just above ear level?

By the way my rears are single radiating if thats what you call em :confused: .

Cheers,

Mog

22. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can't see your question earlier in this thread Mog! My preference is for the speakers on the side, just behind you and just above ear level. The sounds envelop's you more this way. It also leaves sensible room to add 1 or 2 es/ex speakers in the future.

Jeff

23. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thats because i never asked it :p

Thanks for the answer mate i was thinking the same thing . I currently have my two rears mounted in a similar way from my original Yamaha set up. But i know some vendors suggest different methods ie Marantz who suggest side mounting them.

Mog

24. grantj

grantj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire Direct have a consignment of 6 2011's due in the first week of July.
    Pioneer confirmed this was correct.

Just ordered the last one that has'nt been sold.
    £662.