1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer AV amp as a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Billilu, Feb 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering what most of the owners of Pioneer AV amps do about music. I'm thinking mainly of owners of the AX3, AX5i, AX10(i) and my own, the 2011. How many of you are happy to use them as music amps in stereo and/or multichannel? How many of you separate movies and music completely? And how many of you use the Pioneers as pre-amps connected up to a power amp?

I've been using the Pioneer for music as well as DVDs/Sky+ in the 11 months I've owned it, but I've now made a considerable upgrade on my CD player, buying an ex-demo Meridian 507, and have the new 700 series B&Ws on order to replace my AEs. So now I'm concerned that I won't be getting the best out of my 507 by using the 2011 as a stereo amp.

What would others do? One thought I had was to try and track down the Meridian 557 power amp (current RRP around £1600)second-hand - I've seen it advertised for around £850 - and then use the 2011 as pre-amp. Is the 2011 - among its numerous fine qualities - any good as a pre-amp?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC, Godfather using using a VSX-D2011 with a separate stereo amp. PM him perhaps.

3. GreenEagle

GreenEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will not advise you to use your AV amp as a Preamp. Unfortunately, I bought a Marantz SR5400 for this purpose and I have been throrughly disappointed.

I am now looking for a proper two channel pre or maybe getting a second hand Bryston SP1.7.

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I have used my 2011 in various ways, powering all channels, with a couple of integrateds, powers at the front and purely as a pre amp. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

IMHO it's a good way to gradually system build, add the powers and then choose a processor, all the while the sound is improving.

Gus

5. GreenEagle

GreenEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suppose it depends on how much value u place on a stereo comapred with multichannel.

I will maintain (IMHO) that it's better to save up for a decent pre than use a multichannel amp for a pre from my experience.

6. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to echo what everyone else is saying.

I have a Marantz SR7400 AV receiver and am using this as a pre-amp to drive the power-amp section of a NAD C370. Unfortunately, the pre-amp section of the SR7400 is not as transparent as the pre-amp section of the C370. Its by no means bad and is perfectly use-able for watching TV and DVD's, but when I want to do some serious CD listening then I reconnect the pre-amp in the C370.

If you are serious about your two channel CD listening, then I think you are going to be much better off getting a dedicated two channel pre-amp.

Rgds

7. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all those who've taken the time out to reply. I suppose when it comes down to it, I don't really know what a pre-amp does and what make it good or bad. If anyone knows of any idiot guides, I'd be grateful. If I've been using the 2011 as a stereo as well as multichannel amp, and it's been acceptable, then I hoped it would be OK if used as a pre-amp.

I realise that a no-compromise audiophile solution would be using a dedicated pre-amp with a power amp - or a good quality integrated two-channel amp - but wouldn't that mean I wouldn't be able to combine it with the 2011 and run the same speakers from both? Or am I missing something here?

8. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I curreently use a Roksan integrated stereo amp with my Hk avr8500 for stereo duties. All you have to do is use the pre-outs on your pioneer and connect them to a spare input on the integrated amp.

The front two speakers will only be connected to the steroe amp, you will obviously have to calibrate the sound on your receiver for the fron channels. I have my Roksan set at 12 o clock, I then adjusted the speaker levels on the Hk to achieve the same output form all my speakers.

I hope that is understandable, in the meantime you could audition various stereo amps and decide for yourself which you prefer.

this way you have the best of both worlds.

9. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in this scenario, is the AV amp or the stereo amp performing the duties of a pre-amp?

10. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

11. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    When playing a CD or any other source which is connected to the Roksan it acts as the preamp.

When playing a movie from a DVD or other source connected to the Pioneer it acts as the preamp and the Roksan as the power amp for the front speakers, the Pioneer powers the centre and rears.

You have to remember to set the Roksan to a predetermined volume level when playing a movie. Some amps have a special feature called Unity Gain, which means you simply push a button when you want to play a movie, Arcam's A75+, 85, MF308, some Naim amps have this feature.

Do a search as this topic has been discussed at length several times.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114375&highlight=adding+hifi+amp

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58979&highlight=adding+hifi+amp

HTH

Gus

12. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i own a ax5i for movie duties, and a integrated Musical Fidelity and cd player for stereo, the front channels for movie are connected to mf via pre-outs. Resuming the mf always power the front channels and the pio only power the central and rear channels.

The sound is awesome with movies and music 5.1.

13. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 337GUS and kocl. I shall study, digest and try to understand that link when I have a spare hour or two. I'm sure all the answers I want are contained within.