Pioneer AV-696AV and Samsung LE40R73BD - HDMI problem?

M

mecon

HELP!

I am having a problem with flashing HDMI light on my Pioneer DV-696AV when connected to my Samsung LE40R73BD via HDMI.

I had the HDMI cable checked in the shop and it's fine with another setup. I also tried the Pioneer reset as stated in the manual. Still the red light keeps flashing.

I contacted Samsung, they said it's definitely a Pioneer problem. When I contacted Pioneer, they said I should take it back to the shop and ask them to connect it to a Pioneer plasma and see if it works. The problem is the shop I got it from does not stock Pioneer plasmas, also even if it works, I do not have the budget for a Pioneer plasma!

I read another thread in this forum that someone has a problem with the 696 and another model of Samsung lcd tv and it was corrected by playing an SACD in the player. However, I don't really see how this is going to change anything, also I don't own an SACD.

Does any one have the same setup as me? Please I would like to hear if you have the same problem or not.

Thanks.

Hi Mecon,

Just wondering if you got this sorted?

I also have the Sammy LE40R73BD and Im looking at the 696 specifically for its HDMI.

Thanks for any info

Rgds

Rich

Hi Rich

It was actually a problem with the tv. Finally got it sorted out by an engineer via Samsung (not without a fight) - PCB replacement.

A word of warning though, DO NOT try to get into the Service Menu (you will see how to in this forum), they'd know by looking at the flashing light on the tv when you turn it on. If you accidentally changed something, it voids the warranty. To have it looked at privately and fixed would cost around £200 + carriage... just bear that in mind.

mecon

Hi Mecon,

Ive had a few DVDs through the Pioneer and its been fine with the exception of the TV giving the input not supported warning when the DVD was turned on.

I had to hard reset the DVD player to get it to pick it up which was pretty tiresome (as youd then have to go back into the menu to select 720 or 1080 again) but it seems its cured itself now. I looked carefully at the HDMI light and it never flashed so I dont think I have the same problem as you do.

As far as the service menu goes, Ive already been in there - too late the cry ;)

Thanks

Richie

Hi Richie

I don't seem to have your problems since the PCB was replaced on the TV. Can't tell you if it worked before as HDMI didn't work, if you know what I mean.

I can just change the input to HDMI and switch on the 696 and go. I have the 696 set to 1080i at the moment but it seems to keep whatever setting I set it to.

I have just upgraded to YDC6915A_V3.01_ENG, and fingers crossed everything is still working... What I like about the new firmware is that after a disc is loaded (and stopped), to the right of the Pioneer screensaver it tells you if the disc is PAL or NTSC.

I still can't work out which one is 'better', 1080i or 720p?

Thanks mate, Ill check the firmware (where does it show you?) and upgrade that if reqd, never a bad idea.

IMHO, 720p is a better option for our TV. The native res of the TV is 1366x760 so with the Pioneer outputting at 720, the TV only has to slightly upscale from 720 to 760 (ie 40 lines). With it set to 1080i, the TV has to downscale it further from 1080 down to 760 ie 320 lines). Therefore, its pretty pointless as youre giving the TV more scaling to do.

Hope that makes sense, but if it looks better on 1080i keep doing what youre doing, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that and its certainly not cut and dried.

Rgds

Richie

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom