Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer Amps/receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alanlar, Oct 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. alanlar

alanlar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking of getting a new amp/receiver for between £300 and £500ish. I have been looking at 3 Pioneer models in particular. They are the VSXD812, the VSXD912 and the VSXD1011. They all look quite highly specd. Can any more experienced forum members suggest to me which is the machine to go for. Usage will be Sky digital, DVD and cd reproduction in a medium sized room. I have looked at the specs of each one but cant see a lot of difference between the 812 and the 912.

Hope someone can help.
    Thanks
    Alan

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    try a search for those model numbers quite a lot in that price range Denon 1803/4 Marrantz SR5400 HK2550/3550 I assume demos on the Isle of skye are not easy so would you travel to demo and buy or just mail order?

3. alanlar

alanlar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes a demo would not be easy:( . So am looking for mail order. Are you suggesting that I should steer away fron the Pioneer models?
    Alan

4. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 912 and I am very happy with it. The only obvious difference between the 812 and 912 is that the 912 has MCAAC which stands for Multi Channel Automatic Acoustic Calibration System. It automatically tests for the connection of the speakers according to size and distance by use of a supplied microphone. It's a handy feature but some would say that it's not worth the extra £50/60 over the 812.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Not at all just that to be truly happy you need to dem a few systems and manufacturers to decide not only what is good but what you like?

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the dragon is right.

i own pioneer but i would advise you listen to as many makes as possible. Some sounds will suit you some wont. i like pioneer sound and also yamaha but not keen on denon.

also if you play alot of music some makes do different types of music better. i find pioneer is a perfect match for my love of heavy metal. yamaha does dance music great and so on.

Its best not to buy blind.( or def in this case)