1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer amps in general

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rockhopper, Jul 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few factors which make Pioneer amps very tempting - I think they are the nicest looking, they always get excellent reviews, and the price of the new models, particularly the 1015, are great :eek:

The major thing that puts me off though is that I have read they are bright sounding. I currently have a Yamaha model which has a nice warm sound and very easy on the ears. I have fairly bright speakers, so should the Pioneer definately be out of the question???

I know the obvious answer is to get a demo, but I just dont have the time at the moment. I would simply like some advice from anyone who's experienced the Pioneer amps.

I suppose for all I know, the new range i.e. 915, 1015 etc could be a turn-around. Maybe theyve headed for a more warm sound? Has anyone heard any of the new models yet?

Any info would be great :)

2. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Am hoping to try and get a demo of the 1015 myself as I am looking between that or the 2014 (or a cheap AX5 if I can find one!) so if I manage to get round to it ASAP I will let you know.

3. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bigmac that would be great.

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've had an ax5ai-s for about 3 weeks now and do not find it bright sounding.

I've probably spent more time listening to stereo music using 'direct' mode than anything else - I knew it would be an improvement for surround/movie duties on my previous set-up and was more concerned about how it would sound as a replacement for my previous 2ch amps (Rotel RC972/RB971 (used with a Yam DSP-E800 for surround)).

I took a gamble buying it without a demo but am really happy with it so far. I have a 757ai and DVD/DVD-A/SACD all sound amazing to my ears using i-link connection. For CD though, I keep returning to my X-Ray player hooked-up with analogue connections. I never did like the 757 with CDs though.

My main speakers are old Tannoy 638s which are probably just on the dull side of neutral IMO.

5. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using 3910 + AX-5Ai + Celestion SL6Si + Elac 5.1.

The AX-5Ai does a great job in driving the SL6Si (power hunger speakers) and I would say "just right" brightness. On the other hand, the decoding part, even with high-bit on, I found Denon is better which with more "clean details".

According to Pioneer's chief designer of AX-A series, the AX-A is focus on better stereo as well as extending it to multi-channel and make the best use of MACC using techniques like bigger power supply, larger cap., more stable chasis, etc. Not mention too much about the decoding part.

6. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies! Anybody else have any comments on their Pioneer amp's characteristics?