Pioneer Amp HDMI help needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by moss, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello, can someone help me with a question.

I have a main tv and a tv in a second room, both attached by hdmi.

On pioneer amps with 2 hdmi outputs is it possible to play sound through the amp in my main room, but the sound to the tv in the second room?

The options only seem to allow me to either send sound out of the amp or to the tv (this I am stuck with sound out the amp in the main room, but none in the second room, or sound out of the tvs in both rooms). The setting applies to both hdmi ports and i don't think you can set different options for each hdmi output (you can on yamaha amps).

Is there any work around - i thought i might be able to add sound from an opitcal output or rca output to the hdmi lead that runs to the second room tv - but have not come across any item to let me do this.

Any help greatfully appreciated

Thanks Mark

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    There'll be separate HDMI passthrough settings for both HDMI outputs. What you have to be made aware of is that the amp will only be able to handle and be restricted to formats the TV having audio passed through to it can handle.

3. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again dante -

I was trying this on a Pioneer LX53 today, but was surprised to find that there is only a global setting for the HDMI outputs - you can not set sound to output for each HDMI out port seperately - the settings are either Amp or Through :(

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    That is strange. I wonder how it goes on with devices such as PJs when it can't get a return audio signal during handshaking?

5. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im not too sure about the return audio..

The user manaul is here.... VSX-LX53 - Pictures, support, downloads - Pioneer Europe

If you have a spare 10 mins over the next day or so perhap you could confirm that there is no way around this. The local store has one - x display for £400 and I liked the sound of my friends, but the HDMI problem annoys.

Thanks for all your help Dante.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    Does the main TV have a DVI input? You could theoretically use an HDMI to DVI connection to that TV and leave audio passthrough set to AMP + TV for both HDMI outputs. DVI is video only so only the other TV and your amp are getting an audio signal.

THis really isn't the issue though. On inspecting the manual, the amp has no AMP+TV setting and it is limited to either AMP or THROUGH. THROUGH mutes the amp completely!

7. moss

moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The main TV just has HDMI inputs.

At present my sony amp offers AMP, TV or AMP & TV - so i leave it on AMP & TV and just mute the sound on the main tv (my amp only has one HDMI out and so i use a splitter).

As you say - the pioneer only has basically audio on or audio off for the hdmi outs - and as you say if you have audio passed through the HDMI then the amp is muted.

Seems a very funny oversight - but also seems no way to work around. Looks like i'd be better getting a yamaha amp which give all options to the HDMI out.

It never ceases to amaze me, just how many pitfalls there are in home AV! Maybe thats what keeps it interesting.

Thanks Mark