1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Amp/DVD & Genie speaker setup Q's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johnrevill, Jan 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully you guys can give me some advice here...

Currently I've got a 28" WS tv in the lounge and am playing DVD's through my PS2 (please don't laugh). I'm looking at getting the following system:

Pioneer VSXC502 AV amp £299 link
    Pioneer DV-575a DVD player £109 link
    Mordaunt Short Genie speaker package £699 link

I've got a few questions:
    1. The Pioneer amp has only got spring clips. Will these degrade the overall sound quality?
    2. The Pioneer amp uses SCART connectors for AV equipment (3 of 4 are RGB though). Should I be looking for something better?
    3. Should I use the amp to connect all my kit through? (DVD player, Sky+ & PS2). My Samsung TV has only got a single RGB SCART socket...
    4. Are the speakers too good for this proposed setup? Should I be looking at something cheaper??
    5. Would I be better off going for an amp like the Denon AVR1905 which gets great all round reviews? link I'm leaning towards the Pioneer one at the moment purely for aesthetic and size reasons at the moment, however the Denon has more connectors, stereo sub connectors, component video inputs/outputs (useful for future proofing and non spring clip connectors.

Any ideas/pointers greatly appreciated...! Cheers,
    John

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's of course always nice to switch your video signal together with sound via your Amp.
    But that's something you have to decide if you want it.

Your TV only has SCART RGB, There are no Amp that can switch the RGB signal.
    I'm not sure if the pioneer VSXC502 has RGB switching capability, so you should check this.

Had more or less the same question about the switching.
    Check a thread I started, hope it helps you decide : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175001

Greetz
    lem

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,297
    The 502 can switch Scart but unless you absolutely need this facility the similarly priced Pioneer 814 is much the superior amp and will work better with the Genie.

4. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would than go for the Pioneer, johnrevill
    Like Tons of Fun say ... way better.

Only this pioneer can't switch RGB.

Lem

5. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm a bit confused though - why has the amp got scart sockets if it can't switch between them? I'd presumed that other amps that have s-video sockets or component ones that they can switch between these??

6. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The 502 will video switch between SCART signals - itis one of a very small number of amps that will. Most full-size amps like the Pio 814 (and the other common brands ie Yamaha, Denon, Sony etc) will switch component, s-video and composite inputs but not RGB SCART. The more expensive amps can convert between formats.

7. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply. I've actually measured the available height I've got and most full size amps (like the Denon) won't fit in the space so I think this Pioneer is the one to get. Its a bit annoying as cheaper amps have better specs etc...

8. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just diving in here slightly off topic, but where did you see the Genie's for £699? I am thinking of getting these, and the cheapest i've seen them is £750?