Pioneer amp, ARC issue ?

infinitedude

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I've been trawling through the numerous threads on ARC issues and can see they are certainly abundant. Most threads seem to point towards using an optical cable and Harmony remote and getting on with it. If possible I would like to use ARC however, I am having some issues albeit I think my circumstances are slightly unusual and I've also got a couple of separate queries, hence the new thread.

I have a Pioneer VSX-527K receiver and have recently purchased a Samsung QN85A TV. The TV is certainly ARC and e-ARC compatible whereas the amp is only ARC compatible. I can get ARC to work, kind of... The TV has 4 HDMI inputs, HDMI 3 is the ARC port and this is plugged into the Out port on the receiver. I then have an Xbox in port 4, a switch in port 2 and a scart to hdmi adapter for a PS2 in port 1.

When watching SD tv on the TV, the audio runs through to the receiver with no issues. When playing the Xbox or Switch, I can also pass through 5.1 to the receiver with no issues.

The issue however, comes when digital sound is output from the TV directly. For example the Netflix app or Amazon app. The receiver then starts a loop whereby it jumps between PCM and Dolby Digital whilst creating a clicking noise. To me, this seems like a format incompatibility rather than an ARC/CEC issue. Unfortunately, the TV only allows for Auto, PCM or Pass Through when selecting digital sound output.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for the above, I will gladly hear them.

If the answer seems to be - "use an optical cable" that brings me on to my next question. Do I upgrade to a New AVR or Soundbar, I suppose I'm in the wrong forum to be asking that question but I would gladly hear if anyone has any sub £500 'true' surround sound suggestions i.e. 3 or 5 total speakers with a sub. L,R, Centre, and 2 rears or a soundbar and 2 rears. For reference, in my current setup I've got an old 5.1 set of Yamaha speakers which came in an old AVR/Speaker package.

The above does however pose the question, will I run into similar issues with another setup..

If you've gotten this far, many thanks for reading through and I'll appreciate all insights and comments.

Thanks again.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member

infinitedude

Novice Member
Thanks Mark,

I believe I've certainly tried all of the instructions in the Samsung troubleshooting guide. Will give it another go!

And on firmware, everything is on the latest revision.

madridian

Novice Member
Hi @infinitedude

Did you ever resolve this? I have a similar situation with a new LG TV (OLED65A16LA) and an (2016'ish) Pioneer VSX-529 - I get a clicking/buzzing noise when using the Netflix app on my TV (though the AVR), although other apps seem fine.

Thx
Richard

infinitedude

Novice Member
Hi @infinitedude

Did you ever resolve this? I have a similar situation with a new LG TV (OLED65A16LA) and an (2016'ish) Pioneer VSX-529 - I get a clicking/buzzing noise when using the Netflix app on my TV (though the AVR), although other apps seem fine.

Thx
Richard
Hi Richard,

Unfortunately not, I have tried raising queries with both Samsung and Pioneer but have had no luck.

Disappointing to hear it's not an isolated case with my amp. I have a feeling that the HDMI boards just aren't playing nicely with each other. Particularly because I had an issue in the past with the HDMI board on my own amp.

Thanks

madridian

Novice Member
Hi @infinitedude

I did have a very similar problem on the Amazon firestick in the that the sound was similarly garbled when played through the Pioneer AVR. Changing the audio settings from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital or PCM fixed it.

I've also spoken to Netflix support but had no luck. Netflix only seems to have 2 audio settings, English(original) and English(original) 5.1) but neither cured the problem, which I guess is a compatibility issue with audio format and the Pioneer AVR (the common factor in our two cases). So I am resigned to playing Netflix from the Firestick (through the AVR), or Netflix on the TV (without the AVR).

If anyone else can resolve this I'd be happy to hear!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom