1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

>> Pioneer Amp advise plse <<

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yen, Aug 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to purchase some new kit consisting of the following:

Panasonic TH42PW6 plasma
    KEFF 2500.2 speaker system
    Pioneer 757Ai DVD
    Pionner VSX-D812 amp

I would appreciate if anybody could advise whether I am making a good choice with the above kit?

Also, is it worthwhile purchasing the VSX-D912 amp instead?

Any help would be sincerly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:)

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your DVD Player's musicality and sheer audio brilliance is probably going to be stifled by your audio kit, but I'm guessing there's a reason you're purchasing them (Limited Space maybe?)

Obviously the 912 is going to Merit the extra cost somewhere along the line, but providing you've been happy with the performance of the 812 there's little need to upgrade it.

3. jonnow99

jonnow99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 812 last week to go with my set of Kef 2005.2 eggs and still getting to grips with all the functions. I am really pleased with it so far.

Jonno

4. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy the 757i,why you don't buy the pioneer vsx AX5i with has also I-Link.If you care about I-Link.

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I dont think the 912 has component input?

6. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Taking a look at the technical specs, the main advantage that the 912 amp offer over the 812, appears to be that the 912 offers automatic sound setup via "Automatic MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System)" - other than that, it looks like that they are the same build.

Also forgive me if I am being dumb, but I thought that the 912 did have 'component in' - spec on Pioneer's web site:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3750&taxonomy_id=62-98

I would like to get the VSX-A5i but my budget is not going to stretch that far - I can't see to find it on any UK web sites either?

To what degree to you think that I am restricting the audio capabilities of the 757Ai DVD by using the 812/912 amp, because I was initially going to purchase the new 565 DVD model, but changed my mind as I wanted prog scan for the plasma?

Thanks again for your advice,

Yen

7. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.avland.co.uk have both the upcoming ax3 and ax5 on their site and gives full specs for both! As to the having component in i dont think it does i think the american version did but dont think the european version does! But their are a few 912 owners on this board maybe they could clarify for us :)

8. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about your budget, but the Pioneer VSX D-2011 is available on numerous sites for less than £700. I got one for £662. As it has recently been superceded, you will hopefully get it much cheaper soon.

9. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thought were, If you buy the 757i with means it has I-Link,then you better do it right to buy the AX5i.Look for yourself ofcourse.
    I-Link is the digital link for SACD and dvd Audio.hat is the only reason.
    If you stay with the 912 or 2011,be my guest but i thought that you have to know that there is an amp with I-link.
    But if it don't fit in the budget,don't do it:cool:

Regards Ruwan

10. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what's the advantage of hooking it up over iLink as opposed to analogue, apart from maybe the cost of the interlinks?

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi sr78,

It cuts down on the interconnects required (an iLink cable is supplied with the 757Ai) and gives a jitterless digital connection.

Steve

12. Yen

Yen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your input.

Following your posts, I've now decided to stretch my budget and buy the new AX5i. :smashin:

Can anybody advise whether the i-link cable supplied with the 757Ai is adequate or do I need to purchase a better one?

Also with regards to the audio connections between the 757Ai and AX5i, do I only require the i-link connection?

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Yen,

The perfectly adequate iLink cable supplied with the 757Ai is all you need for connection to the AX5i, unless you also want to add a pair of analogue phono leads for CD use. Hope this helps.

Steve

14. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Well, it's not my purpose to let you buy an expencive machine.Not at all.
    But i thing it's is a pitty that you have an receiver that is not cappable to get the most out of your 757.
    You know have the choice to buy an amp and i thing de ax5i is a good choice.

You only require the I link cable or Fire wire IEEE.I link = Fire Wire.

15. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats this multi channel calibration thingy im getting the vsx d 912 has this amp got this

16. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,this ax5i has also de MCACC automatic including the microphone wich must be connected in orde to get the fully out of it.