• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer A10 and Q Acoustic 3020 speakers

wildestdreams

Novice Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I apologise if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

I have had a Pioneer A-10 amplifier, and today I purchased a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers (ex-display). Upon testing them they seem okay and the depth of sound and bass seems okay, but I have found that high volumes or singers singing high notes can cause the speakers to seem distorted. I am using them with an ION Vinyl Player.

The volume is loud enough for my room and it isn't constant distortion but just when they hit higher notes or are louder I notice a slight distortion. Maybe it is the treble or bass?

According to the OMS they match, but the AMP gives out 50 watts whilst the speakers are 75 watts. I don't know if this is a major factor and could be the reason, as the AMP aren't giving out a enough power to match the speakers?

I have put the links where there is the descriptions and the specifications of the amp and speakers.

Pioneer A-10 Amplifier:
Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store

Q Acoustics 3020 Speakers:
https://www.richersounds.com/q-acous...-graphite.html

I'm sorry for my novice understanding. I've had the player and amplifier for years but kind of left it until I could save for proper speakers. I used to use a Cambridge Audio speaker plugged into the AUX front port of the AMP.

muljao

The amp should drive the speakers fine. 50 watts should be grand, the 75 watts on the speakers is max recommended.

What is the ion player, somehow I am suspecting this to be the issue

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The A10 is a 30W amp in reality. Pioneers claim of 50 is into 4ohms. That’s cheating.

So it’s a bit of a feeble amp, but that shouldn’t cause the issue you’re concerned about.

I’d put the source of the problem with the vinyl player, if it’s one of the cheaper Ions certainly.

If you can persuade a friend to bring round their amplifier you’ll be able to see if it still happens.

Also, try Spotify through your phone, tablet or laptop into the Pioneer using the same tracks that are causing the problems.

If there’s then no issue, it’ll be a good bet that it’s the turntable.

muljao

Sorry, what do you mean "what is the ion player"? Do you.mean wattage?
No, is it a proper turntable, or a all in one unit that has an output if needed. The issue sometimes with good amps and speakers (as opposed to a cheap unit) is that while they can bring out the best in a good source, they also wont hide a weak source, just wondering as there are some very cheap ion units

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It would be easy enough to connect a different source to either prove or eliminate the Ion deck as being the issue. Beg, borrow or steal a CD player if you've got nothing suitable yourself.

wildestdreams

Novice Member
No, is it a proper turntable, or a all in one unit that has an output if needed. The issue sometimes with good amps and speakers (as opposed to a cheap unit) is that while they can bring out the best in a good source, they also wont hide a weak source, just wondering as there are some very cheap ion units
Ah I get you. It doesn't have built on speakers. But I know it was cheap. It's the black version. It has a pre amp.

wildestdreams

Novice Member
It would be easy enough to connect a different source to either prove or eliminate the Ion deck as being the issue. Beg, borrow or steal a CD player if you've got nothing suitable yourself.
I've tested it with my phone and can't hear any distortion as of yet. Will do a proper compatisco this weekend. Thanks guys for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom