Pioneer 939/565/656 & confused friend

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidwatsonok, Sep 29, 2003.

1. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have a friend who has owned a DVD player (cheapo £60) for 6 months and hadn't played a DVD in it 'til I sold him my old R2 FOTR-EE, and showed him how to set his amp (£900 Nakamichi) up properly for DD & DTS. Now, with his eyes & ears opened, he is off like a rampaging bull on the upgrade route. I'm doing my best to control him and help him make wise decisions but in a rush of excitement he let the Richer Sounds bod sell him a Pioneer 939 for £500. I think he would be better with a 565 or 656 (prob 565 as it's both cheaper and slightly better spec'd) to get DVD-A & SACD and use the £300 to build up a film collection. Anyone else agree or have any other options ??

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    If he has only watched one film in 6 months then he is definitely better with a cheaper model.
    In fact I would stick with what he had already, spend £200 on films and if he still wants to upgrade then go for it.
    Get him to use the richer 14 day refund policy.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Completely agree. I couldn't resist the price and functionality of the 565. SACD & DVD-A are wonderful.

Pretty sure the middle number is the series number. So I think the 939 is a pretty old player.

Gizlaroc, like your siggy. I'm preparing to use that one myself :D

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Haha, cheers, I seem to use it on a daily basis so thought it would be appropriate.

;)

5. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers guys. Thought as much. Only thing is, now he'll want me to order him a sh!tload of films over the net. Oh well, what are friends for.

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi

I was asking around a SDI mod site on whether I should go for a 565 or a 656. (I want DVD-A and SACD with visual playback a definiote second place).

here's the response on the 565;

"It is a crappy player with omega dvd chipset,
    low cost elecctronics, no possibility for sdi and none for the advanced
    plug mod."

The chap had a much higher opinion of the 656 given that it was based on better electronics.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this? I'm looking for a universal player that will give me good DVA-A and SACD at a low price. I'll continue using my HTPC for DVD playback and will probably add a dedicated CD player for conventional discs in the future.

Advice appreciated.

Peter

7. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've seen the 565 in action with DVD-V, DVD-A, and SACD and in practice it's anything but crappy. For the price, it's outstanding value for money.

8. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks again. Seeing the guy tomorrow. I'll relay the info provided and try to advise the 656. I'm well impressed with mine, and there must have been some cutbacks to get the 565 so well priced with even better spec. Although, I'll recommend that as second choice should he wish to put more towards a movie collection.

Cheers.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    I had a Grundig 210 which was considered a cheapy when I got it 3 years ago but it has lasted. And I wouldn’t be surprised if new things come through in the next 3 years so I may up-grade again. So I would worry too much why the 565 has a lot features and such a low price.

10. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    A quick update for those who contributed and may be interested. The 939 is going back, as is the Nakamichi AV amp, which we have now realised does not support 5.1 inputs. He'll use the £200 or so refund on the amp to get a 565 (m/r) and the £500 from the 939 to upgrade his amp. I've recommended a VSX812 and a couple of hundred quids worth of discs, but he's off on one again and chasing a 1011 or AX3i.

Thanks again for all your contributions, maybe after this he'll learn to research his purchases a little more and not trust the RS saleskids.

11. lukes

lukes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked at the VSX-D912-S - it is the same as 812 but with auto MCACC which is very helpful

I have that 565 and I think it is brilliant!