1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 915 or 1015

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jwramsay, Aug 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Looking at getting a new amp to replace my aging Sony 930. As I have the Pioneer 434 Plasma, I'm migrating all my gear to Pioneer.

I use the Pio 434's speakers as my centre and have 4 floorstanding Tannoy speakers and a REL Q100E sub.

I would only consider Pioneer, Denon or Sony, but Pioneer, as well as matching my other components, have a few features that I don't think the others have :

1) BiAmp feature - handy as my Tannoys are currently biwired and I'm happy with a 5.1 only setup.

2) SR+ link to Pioneer Plasma

The Pioneer 1015 and 915 both seem to have the features that I'm after, although the 1015 is THX certified with more power. The 1015 is heavier and IMHO prettier, but is 33% more expensive again than the 915.

I have scoured my local dealers + Comet/Currys/Powerhouse and no-one has these models to view. Of course I will be ordering off the net, but I'd like to have gotten the feel of one at least.

There is a review of th 915 in "What Home Cinema", where it scored 88%, and it is actually quite a mixed review.

I am also worried that these may be a bit plasticky compared to the beautiful brushed aluminium finish of my Sony 930. (Comet did have an 812 and it seemed very plasticky)

Has anyone any experience with either of these?

2. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your instinct is right, go Pioneer and you're going to feel shorth changed. Think Denon or Yammy as an upgrade. I'd put the 930 back to back with anything under £400 for 5.1 so might be worth pushing the budget a bit higher to get a significant improvement.

Just my 10p worth but IMHO the 930 was a quality freak (like the Pioneer A400) at its price point and i rate it highly.

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I hear conflicting reports, Sony 930 is 5 year old technology, things have moved on since then on one hand and Sony 930 was a peach of an amp, need to spend big bucks to beat it.

Confused!

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just read the review of the Pioneer 915 in What Hifi - they slated it. (3 stars)

Looks like the new Denon 1906 can do no wrong now, they gave it 5 stars and it won the mega test.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Just because what hifi like it or doesnt wont mean that others wont liek its sound or abilities. With Denon and what hifi they have never put a foot wrong. IMHO they should change there name to What Denon? and be done with it.

The 1015 got a very positive review in another mag (sorry cant remember which) Think it even won the group best buy.

6. beanman

beanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course the processing is 5 years old, but on the other hand how far has amplification moved on in those 5 years.

The Sony was a good amp in my book because the amplification was very good. You want 5.1 processing, and you don't mention the need for a lot of modern gadgets (cross conversion, 6.1 etc) so in my book it has stood the test of time for you.

The Denon AVR2106 would no doubt be as good and better in many respects, but if i had a 930 i'd be looking for other places in my system to improve performance or pushing my budget to Yamm757 / AVR2106 as a minimum.

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

Whilst phoning dealers, one local to me offered a display model but unused Pioneer 1014 for 300 quid.

Went round, was given a demo in their demo room, everything sounded in order, so went for it!