Pioneer 912 v Denon 3805!!

d.waters

I know that the Denon is very likely in a different league to that particular Pioneer, but now that you can get the 912 for under £300, it's worth a look! What would be your thoughts on the following alternatives for my bedroom system - I intend to get an LCD TV, as well and I already have a set of Def Tech Pro 80 speakers:

Pioneer 912 with Pioneer 668 DVD player
Denon 3805 with Pioneer 565 DVD player (the cost of this amp reduces cash available for DVD player)

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Definitely get the Denon, the Pioneer 912 is not that powerful and not that well built. You can always upgrade the DVD player at a later date and probably for a very low cost by the time you get round to it.

Kazman

Agreed, the 3805 is a very good amp, but may be a little overpriced imho.

The Marantz SR7400, Yamaha RXV1400 & RXV2400 give it a good run for its money, and both the SR7400 and RXV1400 can be had for less than £500. Although the remote on the 3805 is oh so cool :):):).

I can vouch for the Pioneer 668, lovely DVD player, also available for well under £500.

Kazman

Performance wise, the 668 and 757 are virtually identical for the most part. The 668 just has the added advantage of HDMI.

d.waters

Thanks for the replies - they are pretty much as I expected. The DVD player feedback was also useful as I already have a 757 and was thinking of moving it upstairs as an alternative, and replacing it downstairs with an 868.

Kazman

You won't see much difference between the 868 and 757 visually, maybe sonically you would hear an improvement.

If you are planning to go for a digital connection then go for it, if not, my advice would be to leave the 757 downstairs and go for a cheap model for upstairs, then use the money saved on the amp :)

dbanugo

Banned
Originally posted by Kazman
Agreed, the 3805 is a very good amp, but may be a little overpriced imho.

The Marantz SR7400, Yamaha RXV1400 & RXV2400 give it a good run for its money, and both the SR7400 and RXV1400 can be had for less than £500. Although the remote on the 3805 is oh so cool :):):).

I can vouch for the Pioneer 668, lovely DVD player, also available for well under £500.

where can i get the Yamaha for less than £500 the cheapest i have seen this is £700 for the 1400?:confused: :confused:

Dfour

The only way to pay to get one from Germany is with a bank draft NOCREDIT CARDS.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom