Pioneer 868i vs. Pioneer 920H-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ianrush, Dec 14, 2004.

1. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think? I have just bought a Pioneer plasma 435HDE and I think I have to buy a dvd with HDMI. The new 920H-S is a dvd recorder and has HDMI + 250 gb harddisk. But the salesman sad that I would'nt get the same picture as with the 868...

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you want/need a recorder (DVD or DVD/HDD) or a player?
    They 868 and 920 are very different machines and 920 is only just becoming available.
    The 868 is a high-end player which include DVD audio and SACD audio, whereas the 920 is primarily DVD/HDD which will also play normal audio CDs (but not SACD or DVD audio) like most DVD machines.
    The Pioneer site has no specs of the 920 (yet), but this site http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/pidvd.htm
    has specs of both - and a price difference of £350

Specs are also on http://www.avland.co.uk/products.htm

3. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want it all! I want a dvd player that gives me exellent picture on my pioneer 435Hde and I want a recorder/harddisk..and of course it must play cd's as well...do you think it's that much differens in picture quality between 868 and 920?

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry - pass on that one. I was just pointing out that the 868 is aimed at an audiophile/videophile market, as opposed to high end video.

If you want DVD/HDD recording the 868 is out of the frame as the only machine.

But if you are prepared to pay the money then my guess would be an 868 plus a 420 for 'utility' recording. Total cost about £1550.

But as the 920 has HDMI, it can't be bad, and it has a Huge HDD for around £850 - 900.

I'm an opera enthusaist and would tend to a separate CD player anyway.

5. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok..I hardly never listen to music..only watch tv/dvd..so I would like to have a dvd recorder/harddisk..and if the 920 has HDMI..it can't be bad..as you sad..but one wants the best picture for my new pioneer plasma..so i'm not sure what to do..920 cost 1500 £ here in Norway..

6. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    For what it's worth...my advice, if you have the Pioneer plasma, would be to buy the 868i if your primary viewing habits are watching prerecorded DVD's and buy a Pioneer DVR-420 for timeshifting.

If you watch and record a lot of TV, especially of satellite, the transmission quality is only average to good anyway so you probably won't gain that much with the 920. If you have a Sky+ box anyway I'd stick with that for recording and buy a super dooper DVD player. You will then at least have two top notch components which you can be pretty sure you are gettig the best picture and sound.

The best thing of course is to try and audition before you buy so you can see the components in action and make up your mind on what you see.

7. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good answer..here in norway we have exellent tv signals(digital)..but to have 2 dvd components..hm..have to think about that..the salesman sad that the 920 had the same PQ as the 686..the one under the 868..

8. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I am in the exact same position as you Ianrush and really don't know where the info comparing the 868 and the 920H-S came from. There is very little on the net and certainly no reviews as yet. I did find the following:
    "The high-end DVR-920H-S and DVR-720H-S incorporate the newly developed full digital circuitry "DianaCircuit" to deliver high-quality video playback and recording capabilities."
    To me that means new technology that cannot be compared as yet to the year old 868. We shall see....

9. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The salesman recommended that I bought the 868(because it was outstanding) + a dvd recorder with harddisk..if I wanted that...

10. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    But in your original post you said that the salesman had told you that you wouldn't get the same picture with the 920H-S that you would get with the 868 and I think he was simply out to get you to buy now rather than waiting - he has no way of knowing that.The market is right for a high end DVD player which happens to have an HDD and be recordable with HMDI interface.
    There seem to be some reviews on the Pioneer website now for the 920, but not in English. 5 stars but won't be long for one of our mags to pick it up I'm sure.

11. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but he sad that they are struggeling to make dvd recorders with hd as good as the one without. And he told me that the 868 was simply the best dvd player around. I have a pioneer 435 HDE plasma and I would like to get the best picture quality of course...The shop is testing the 920H-S soon..but I am tempted to buy the 868 + a cheaper dvd recorder with harddisk...

12. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have a 435XDE and know it can produce amazing images. At present my DVD is not up to the challenge. It's a Samsung HD935 which I am linking using a DVI to HDMI cable. With R1 discs and animated features such as Shrek2 it is simply stunning but R2 discs suffer. This seems to reflect what others are saying on this site so I am not too worried. I have been waiting for the 920H-S for sometime and will wait and see how it looks when running and what the reviews are like. If not as good as the 868 I will get that instead. I don't know how good your French is but if you look at the second review at this link you will get the idea that they haven't made a DVD recorder first and a player second. Don't put your money down yet...

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/reviews...ry_id=501&taxonomy_id=62-125&title=DVR-920H-S

13. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe..my french is like my cooking..very bad.. ;) Could you post your tv settings that you have on your plasma? I'm struggeling to get a good tv picture ..even trough scart with rbg...its not so amazing as i would have thought..maybe i have done something wrong..saw the news from the tsunami in Asia..and the picture was terrible...also Eurosport has bad picture quality

14. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    At the moment the plasma is for DVDs and games only since it is in a dedicated room with a decent surround system. I don't have it hooked up to a TV signal as yet as I tend to watch that with the wife on the LCD (Philips 32PF9986) in the living room. We do have Sky+ tho and I'm intending to download content from that to the 920 HDD if I buy it so will be disappointed if I can't get a decent picture out of it. Still, with high def TV only a year or so away at least we made the right choice given Sky's recent announcement regarding HDMI connectivity being essential.

15. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    please bear in mind that the 920 is not up to the same standard as the 868 for dvd playback. ...as it does NOT have the Trex video scaler.

Almost double the price...

Its like the Pioneer 668 with the ability to record onto dvd disc.

>> BUT what if you used an external video scaler with the Pio 920 dvd recorder???
    Would this solve the problem?

Pioneer 920 spec:
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9550&taxonomy_id=62-125

16. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    >>" BUT what if you used an external video scaler with the Pio 920 dvd recorder???
    Would this solve the problem"

Can you do this and utilise the HDMI input on the 435 screen?