1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 868i To Panasonic TH42PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pajare, Dec 30, 2004.

1. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Ive just ordered a Panasonic TH42PW7 with scart board ( but will be connecting NTL via JS vga to RGB.) Can you advise which would be best option for connecting my Pioneer 868i dvd please

Regards ---Will

2. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The best would be component or HDMI.

3. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ive done alot of reading and as far as i'm aware the best option for u would be to get the master scart controller for both inputs ntl/dvd player.
    but al i have done is reading on this so maybe some1 else can add more input so we can all learn.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not a brilliant partnership, the 868 is not at it's best on component, it really likes HDMI, but component will be OK. The 868 is made to partner the FDE/XDE pioneers. It can be made to work on DVI with the Panasonic at 576p/50Hz, if you can get a DVI board, and an HDMI to DVI cable. This is likely your best bet, also the most expensive of course.

5. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why would you say that? 868 has very good video DACs. I really like the picture it's producing. Is there another player in the same price range (adjusted for ability to read SACD, DVD-A, iLink, HDMI etc.) which gives better quality picture via component?

MAW, what would be your advice on the resolution setting for 868 to ED plasma via HDMI? Is it better to put 480p and let the player convert PAL disks to this reslution, or set it to 567 for pal disks and let the panel do the scaling?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Why? On results, Denon players on analogue are clear ahead. I think you'll find a majority of professionals would say the same. I know I can quote Liam on this. On the subject of resolution, I prefer to send a Panasonic 576p/50, as it doesn't like 480/50. The refresh rate is far more crucial than the resolution. Any 60Hz signals will result in judder, try 720/60 and see what I mean. Excellent picture till the camera pans.

7. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, interesting. 868 doesn't have the refresh rate setting, only resolution. I thought, if I set it to 480p, it will convert everything to 480p at whatever refresh rate, i.e. 576p@50 would be converted to 480p@50. I don't think 868 can convert refresh rates.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think it does it automatically. You might be offered a choice at 720, or it might just pump it out at the refresh rate on the disc. But the 480p setting is for NTSC displays, it will almost certainly be at 60Hz, and 480/50 is not part of the HDMI spec, so knowing Pioneer they will not have implemented it.

9. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replies

Any idea where I can get a DVI board and how much. I have found plenty of HDMI to DVI cables on the web.

Cheers--------Will

10. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Played around with the settings. Turns out the player does not convert refresh rates. If I set HDMI output to 480p or VGA it automatically switches to 576p@50 if PAL disc is inserted.