1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 868Avi Delivery Delayed?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tacitus, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Tacitus

Tacitus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have been told by Practical Hi-Fi that the Pioneer 868Avi has been held back for a few weeks by Pioneer because of a lack of HDMI cables. Has anybody else heard this ? Does this also mean that Pioneer are planning to supply the HDMI cable ? Logic would say so, but they may just be letting the cable producer time to get it act together. Can anybody shed any light??

Thanks
    Michael

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    More info in the "HDMI cable ordered" thread.

Steve

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would just make my day! :(

Already been waiting 2 months for a new player, canceled and swapped to the 868 as it would be out a couple of weeks after the 757 was back in stock and now they want to delay it for a cable that I can't actually use and is only likely to be 2m and hence would never be long enough to actually reach a future purchased projector! :mad:

I'm just going to have to order an SVS sub and take my fustrations out on the brick work. ;)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Given the price of the player I'd be miffed if there WASN'T an HDMI cable in the box. :eek:

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It would be very churlish of Pioneer not to include an HDMI cable considering it costs less than £7.50 retail, so proably about £1 to them.

On the other hand, if they don't include one it's not going to cause financial hardship to get one yourself.

I agree they should include one whether users want them or not.
    After all, they include an iLINK cable and a lot of users will probably not make use of that interface either.

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Just because the first batch of cables are going to be 2m, doesn't mean that will be the maximum length possible.
    With adequately screened cable you should be able to get runs of many multiples of that.
    I'm hoping that the the cables are made in such a way that the connectors can be removed (i.e. not moulded) then it will be a simple task of substituting the original 2m cable with something longer.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was alluding to the scarcity of them more than their intrinsic value, and the fact that Pioneer will have access to supplies Joe Public won't.

8. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect that it's the miniturisation of the plug (might make DIY cable butchering tricky) that's the issue and that nothing really uses them yet. At least with the DVI it's widely used in the PC world.

Does anyone actually have another HDMI device to plug it into?

And until HDMI switching Amps appear 2m isn't alot of use (I mean come on, how many of us here actually use standard in the box cables ;) ).

I just don't see the sence in delaying a player that outputs Component, Composite, S-Video, SCART and HDMI just cos the least used of those cables isn't in the box! :confused:

According to the manual the only cables suppied are;

• Stereo audio cable (red/white plugs)
    • Video cable (yellow plugs)
    • 4-pin S400 i.LINK cable

No SCART, No Component not even S-Video. :rolleyes:

9. Tacitus

Tacitus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm with you Brogan, but it strikes me that they have not handled this very well at all. They are showing off the 868 at all the hifi shows getting people excited. They haven't even organized the single hdmi manufacturer to be prepared for orders coming in. Their website does not mention the 868 at all, although you can download the manual. I'm still not sure what the retail price is supposed to be. And now after having dealers take orders they are delaying things and don't seem able to make up their minds about whether they are supplying an HDMI cable. Also they still won't give a date on when we can expect the machines. This is a real C**K TEASE and boy do I hate that!! Come on Pioneer just put out will you!!!

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Given the imminent arrival of pjs, among other devices, using HDMI I wonder why they bundle an i.Link which is only going to be used by a very small number of customers as against HDMI which many more will in a short period of time.

11. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because i-Link cables are ten a penny and probably 10,000's are produced on a daily basis. I'd rather have a desent S-Video or nice RGB scart then HDMI. But basicly I'd rather not have any cables and get me new toy delivered tomorrow then all this palava. :smashin:

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    That's interesting.
    I thought the general consensus was that HDMI is another step up in PQ compared to s-video, RGB scart and even component progressive.
    It wouldn't make much sense not using the interface if you've got it - unless of course your display doesn't support it.

For me, HDMI is a key component in my set-up and probably the main reason why I am going for an 868 and a 504HDE.

13. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clarify, yes I *PLAN* to have a HDMI cable connected to a future DLP Projector or maybe even via a HDMI switching AMP but at the moment I have no HDMI capable displays (not even a Component one :( ) and would rather have my toy I paid for two months ago now and buy a cable later then wait several more weeks. :nono:

And to be honest I don't want them to put in RBG Scart or S-Video leads either as I've already spent £100's on new cables to install this thing and to get them free would just be... :suicide:

At this rate the 979 will be announced before I get my 868... :smoke: (cue condor moment music :) )

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I know where you're coming from.
    I'd rather have just the basic unit and no cheap, useless cables bundled in the box, assuming of course you can source them yourself elsewhere...

I have a huge sack of unused RF, scart, phono, telephone, etc. cables just collecting dust.
    I don't want to chuck them out as it's a huge waste of resources but they're worthless so i'll probably hang onto them for another 5 years before thinking "oh, fudge it" and chucking them in the bin.
    It's like another form of junk mail; I didn't ask for them and I didn't want them but I got them anyway...:rolleyes:

15. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although they do come in handy for that last minute patch job when a new toy arrives without cables and you want a play before trying to find somewhere open to buy good ones. :smashin:

Actually my worst retired cable at the moment has to be an expensive big name brand scart. Only hang on to it cos it's the longest one I've got and can probably live with the 'BUZZZZZ' in an emergancy.

Only use SCART->S-video adapters now unless the source is RBG.

Have to email my 868 supplier and see if they've heard any dates yet. :laugh:

16. TAHIR

TAHIR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

The DV-868Ai is available now from Leconcepts.com at a even lower price of £ 769.99.

Mine is on its way.

17. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,502
    well leconcepts says it's in stock, wonder if it really is?

18. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the lack of HDMI cable is why Pioneer have pushed back the date of the 868 then I'd say its very suprising, its not like it can't be used without it? There's only one display in the world that can even use the HDMI interface (HDMI - HDMI, not HDMI - DVI) and thats only just been released this month.

I also dont know what the big deal is about getting a HDMI cable with the DVD player, since when has a piece of hardware come with the very best quality interconnect, even if they do come with an interconnect then its a cheapo scart cable, not even component??!!

19. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It wouldn't be such a big deal getting our own cables if they were available.
    As they're not, it would be helpful if they were included with the player.
    At £7.50 retail each it's hardly going to eat into Pioneer's profit margin...

20. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've noticed on the LEConcepts website that if you click to buy the 868Ai or the 668Ai it takes you to the checkout with a 757Ai in the basket?!
    So as far as the website goes there doesn't actually seem to be a way to buy the 868 or 668?

21. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Were you specifically told it was on its way?
    I've just called them and they're still saying "2 weeks".

22. TAHIR

TAHIR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first batch is expected in next Friday, that's when mine will be shipped out, but for the price they are asking I'll even wait for 3 weeks if necessary.

23. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    OK, good.
    That's provisionally what they have told me - arriving next Friday and with customers within the next 2 weeks.

Woohoo!

P.S. Turk musunuz?