1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 868 vs iScan Ultra

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gmt steve, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking at my equipment list ( foot of post), any opinions as to whether the best results from DVD will be 868 into the PW5 or via the iScan. I think the iScan has better de-interlacing, but wonder if the extra A/D and D/A conversions will be detrimental.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My money would be on the Iscan and it is much more flexible. Would be an interesting one with the importance of deinterlacing against video 'cleanliness' though, worth trying, the Iscan ultra certainly came up trumps in the chroma bugs tests elsewhere ahs having exceptional video quality compared with PS DVD players

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you do plug dvd and sky+ into iscan and then on to plasma through vga .

the picture will be out to the right about inch or 2, you will need to
    do stoomonster way of centering the picture by overscanning the picture.

4. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have compared my 868 directly into my pioneer 433 as prog. scan versus via my lumagen at 1080p 60hz.
    The lumagen uses the sil image deinterlacer but should in theory be much better than an ultra as it can scale to a resolution which suits the display better than 480p/ 576p.

Overall I preferred the lumagen but only slightly for R1 material. This was watching good quality material.
    I was surprised given what I had read about pioneer's poor quality prog.scan. Of course I am not saying that an 868 doesn't produce the artefacts complained of on testing. I can only say that watching good quality material looked ok on my 43 inch display.

I wouldn't say the same for R2 material but this is for reasons connected with the 433 which IMHO is poor at 50hz material.

Obviously your experience may differ.

Regards Peter

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't have any centering problems, at least not according to DVE PAL & NTSC versions.

Mmmmm, very interesting answers guys, I suppose the only way to decide is to compare, it's just a right pain with only one set of decent component leads. Ah well.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    steve have you connected the skyand dvd to the iscan yet at same time?
    you will then see that the dvd and sky at not centered the same . so to have them both through iscan. you need to over scan them.

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I have them both connected, but I suppose I perhaps wouldn't notice if Sky wasn't centered. I'll check it out. Thanks

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well here's a spin. If you read the right threads at avs, you could in fact be led to understand that an hdmi player is in fact superior to the performance of a dvi out hcpc (Gary Lightfoot of this forum i believe did a test). If you believe (as i dont) that the pc solution kills a vid pro (like the ultra), this would suggest that the hdmi will be miles superior to the ultra.

there are alot of maybes in there, id love to know what is right.

ad