1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 868 vs. Denon 2900 vs. Arcam 88+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bristol Pete, Dec 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

Considering buying one of the above in the new year so starting to research them now:smoke:

Basically, I want the machine that offers the best picture and sound quality from either the Pioneer 868, Denon 2900 or the Arcam 88+.

At the moment not to concerned about DVD-A and SACD. Future proofing is a consideration and the HDMI output on the Pioneer could swing it as I fully intend upgrading our PJ in time.

So, in summary, looking for the best PQ and sound, feeding a Panasonic AE300 projector via 10 metre component leads into a Sony 870 amp/Mission M72 combo for now.

Whats your verdict?

Cap:)

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Arcam :)

3. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp 200 ;)

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Denon 2200 easily bested the pioneer 668 for sound and picture. I know that you're looking at the 2900 but the 2200 is brill for the money

5. Garnot

Garnot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the review on www.dvdarea.de. They claim there's nothing with the picture quality of it's little brother, Pio DV-668. The only thing where they preferred the Denon DVD2200 over the Pio was on vocal sound on SACDs. However, the bass on the DV-668 was stronger and tighter than the Denon.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Garnot, as somebody who has been a fan of Pioneer's gear, all I can say is that the conclussion of that article is wrong - having put the two head to head the Denon wins hands down on all video counts. I would turn it around and say that the only thing that the 668 had over the 2200 is the HDMI interface (of no use to me at all)

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 868 gets my recommendation :).

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Cap the problem with many people's opinions on things like this is that few people will have seen all 3 running in the same environment, with the same equipment, all calibrated individually with something like Avia.

Best advice I can offer is to try and demo all 3 (if that's possible).

And to the people who have already offered advice, have you all really seen the 3 models Cap's asking about?

Cheers
    Matt

PS Cap, I'll likely be selling my Arcam DV88+ shortly if you're interested;)

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ Matt! - what're you upgrading to now :laugh:???

Cap - HiSpek can sell you a DV88+ for £799 new, if you're curious.

I recommended the Pioneer based on my experience with the DV757Ai. Yes I've seen the other players in question, and actually I prefer the Denon, but the Pioneer is £200 cheaper, and that HDMI output's handy...

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Not an upgrade really, but I'm contemplating selling my Z1 and buying a Z2, in which case I'll possibly buy the Samsung 935 for DVI. Need to do more research though first, as certainly on the audio side it will be a downgrade...

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also read in the video processing forum that the Samsung's colour fidelity and detail retrieval is not without question (sorry to HiJack the thread). And yes, it'll be one hell of an audio downgrade, that I can promise you!.

Perhaps sell your DVD player, buy a BriteView and DVD2800mkII for £700, and get your Z2? It'll probably be far better than the samsung which - whatever way you look at it - is a budget player.

12. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the optical or coaxial digital ouput of Samsung HD935, how does it sound like, is it good? Not conerned with DVD audio and SACD never tried them.

Thanks