Pioneer 868 v 668

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jrpavel, May 10, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sister site to avforums http://www.essentialhomecinema.com/ has reviews for these DVD players. They seem to claim that the 868's picture is much better than the 668's.

As these are, supposedly, similar players, is this just a poorly-conducted review, or is there some other explanation?

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I have not downloaded the review but i imagine it will depend on the display used as the 868 can upscale to 720p and 1080i where as the 668 cannot. Therefore the 868 should in theory and probably in practice give a better picture on a plasma and or pj than the 668.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    when it comes to the upscaling, it depends on what is doing the scaling and which can do it better. ie is the 868is scaler any better than whats in the plasma?(and to be honest its hard to see if there is a diff between each res output with the 868i)

from first hand experience i would say the pic diff off the 688 and 868 is minimal via HDMI, almost identical, the 868i you just get a few extra pic adjustments, and i-link etc etc.