1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 868 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bails, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a problem with my pioneer 868 dvd player. In general, the pq is great but PAL progressive scan seems to cause some problems.

With PureCinema set to 'Auto 1' in the setup menu, and the front-panel 'progressive scan' button selected, the picture occasionally starts to break up. It basically starts to wobble a bit, then more, then stops, then starts again, and is basically unwatchable. This may be called 'combing', though I'm not really sure.

I have tried changing the PureCinema setting to 'Auto 2', and to 'On' but with little difference. Turning it off seems like the only option, but am I then living with a worse picture?

When watching a dvd and this problems kicks in, it is too disruptive to my family's viewing to muddle my way through the video settings menu. The quick way to solve the problem is simply to turn off 'progressive scan' on the front panel. The picture then remains stable, though the colour changes dramatically and the picture deteriorates noticably.

Is there any way around this? Any other settings that I've missed that might solve the problem? I'm thinking I might have to get rid of the player and try something else if I can't fix the problem. For an expensive dvd player it is really annoying. Any advice?

Thanks

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I have never seen this on my 868i.
    It sounds more like you have a faulty unit.
    The colour stays almost exactly the same via progressive or interlaced.
    Sounds as if the deinterlacing chip is knackered.;)

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds more like the display device to me, what are you using? The Auto 1/2 settings on the pioneer players tell the player to be a flag reader (auto 1) or a cadence reader (auto 2), turning Purecinema off does not enable an interlaced output, rather it enables Video De-interlacing. The effect you are seeing is most definitely not combing. Fot more detailed info on Flag/Cadence I-P conversion go to; hometheaterhifi.com (Benchmark DVD reveiws)

4. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You may be right - it perhaps is the dispaly (Sharp 30" LCD). I reset both the pioneer dvd player and the sharp tv to their defaults and I haven't noticed the effect yet (and the colour looks ok). Maybe I somehow got the two sets of settings out of whack. If the problem doesn't reappear, I'll try changing the settings one at a time to see where the problem lies.

The Sharp has all sorts of settings that I don't really understand ('cool climate', etc) and the problem could well be there when fed a progressive scan signal.

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds to me like the Sharp won't accept prog scan from an external source. Any Sharp 30" LCD owners out there who can confirm/refute this?
    If you turn off prog scan on the 668 then the Sharp is doing the I-P conversion since all LCDs are inherently progressive. The question (which applies to anyone with fixed pixel display and a progressive DVD player) is whether the line doubler is better in the display or the player; it's usually the player.

6. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting. The sharp tv does have a setup option of progressive/interlaced. Perhaps if I chose interlaced it might work better with a progressive input?

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In theory, it should be better withe the Sharp set to interlaced and the Pioneer set to progressive, but you might as well experiment.

8. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I've tried everything and it's still not working properly. I'm starting to think it might be a problem (or at least a characteristic) of the Sharp display rather than the Pioneer DVD player.

I noticed on the Marantz website that one of their DVD players offers NTSC/PAL progressive scan, but that the PAL progressive is only available via DVI output. NTSC progressive does in fact work in my current setup without a problem - it is only PAL progressive that is the problem.

Can any owners of a Sharp 30" LCD confirm that it accepts PAL progressive?

9. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi GMT Steve,

I don't mean to hijack the thread but with your extensive use of the Pioneer 868 what is the best setting (i.e. DIRECT, AUTO 1, AUTO 2 etc etc) to use in both HDMI mode and Progressive Component mode?

Also what about the Black Set-Up. Should it be 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE?

I use mainly U.S. Region 1 NTSC discs into a Sim2 RTX DLP rear-projection display. Thanks again!