Pioneer 868 or wait for hi def????

R

runaway26

Hi

I am in two minds to buy a pioneer 868 (i have a 435XDE already) or wait until high def.

Pioneer will cost £620

I had a early thread about replacing my Pan s97 (not over keen on it)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253932

Even if high def does come out soon will the player be much good until a year or so just like when DVD units first hit the shops

Also when will they be in the UK? Japan will have them first and will cost us a fortune to import? And the disc???

Let me no what you think

Thanks

Wow, 50+ views and no-one on here can give you an opinion on waiting for hidef!?!

I've been grappling with the same dilemma. My 2ps worth:

There are still two competing formats for Hidef DVD. Which one do you wait for? (DVD-A or SACD anyone?) If they can agree to play nicely together, does this delay launch?

Year one is likely to be learning experience for both hardware mfrs and software providers. If hidef follows the historic trend, both will be a cost premium to standard kit initially. Furthermore, unless Hollywood blockbusters are your thing, software could be in limited supply at the beginning.

Hopefully my DV868 should arrive tomorrow. PS3 to follow whenever it's released. Not sure I’d be buying the £2.5k Denon at this point, but Think £600 on the Pio and £400ish on a PS3 should satisfy my DVD viewing habits for a little while at least.

Hello

Cant comment on the waiting side of your query....ain't we all though :thumbsup: On your choice of DVD player can only recommend it. Had mine now for about 6 months, plays music like a dream (CD, DVD-A and SACD) and DVD playback is fantastic both picture quality and sound

Hope that helps

Shane

Hidef for DVD wont start making much progress till somtime in late 2006 early 2007 and thats if the public go for it over DVD which is still open to debate as not everyone is even interested in Hidef.

I would have a great pic now and wait to see how the Hidef arena unfolds.

£620 is too much for an 868avi. The new model is out soon for £799.

Ebay has secondhand ones go for £300-350 and new for £550.

gandley said:
£620 is too much for an 868avi. The new model is out soon for £799.

Ebay has secondhand ones go for £300-350 and new for £550.

Gandley

Please dont shout this info too loud :D ......I paid £800 for mine 6 months ago, told the wife it was a necessary investment :devil: :devil: Already thinking of excuse why I NEED Sky HD :thumbsup:

Shane

not good, one of the two downsides of the pioneer 868, the other being some CUE errors

gandley said:
not good, one of the two downsides of the pioneer 868, the other being some CUE errors

What are CUE errors?? I have one and it's great with my 434 via HDMI,As for layer change well I don't really notice it and no worse than any other player that I have owned!

VirusKiller said:
Shane. What's the layer change like?

Hello VirusKiller

mmmm layer change....sometimes it is bad, really bad :eek: but on other occasions its un-noticable.... :smashin:

Shane

goatlips said:
What are CUE errors?? I have one and it's great with my 434 via HDMI,As for layer change well I don't really notice it and no worse than any other player that I have owned!

No offence but this has been talked to death already, the 868i suffers some CUE or CHROMA UPSAMPLING ERRORS, trust me on this I have an 8ft screen and can see it as plain as day. But the 868i was a vast improvment over previous pioneer models, it is only with some discs you can see it so is not a big deal but was one of the last things pioneer needed to iron out.
Do a google for chroma upsampling errors to find out all you need to know

Look at the Home theatre secrets benchmark tests. They show which CUE errors the 868 suffers from

As for the layer change its very bad, in line with the toshiba 900e. and i can notice it on every disc no exceptions.

But apart from these two issues its a great dvd player and it sounds like the 989 has got rid of the cue and made the layerchange a bit snappier. So im happy with that

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom