Pioneer 868 HDMI and Component - am I missing a trick?

Dak

Standard Member
Hi

My kitlist is below. Only just arrived is the Sim2 Domino projector with HDMI which I will fit this weekend.

I am presuming that I run HDMI from the 868 AND component from the AX5i (with the PS2 and cable plugging into the AX5i).

Just wanted to be sure I am not running wires unnecessarily. Is there any way to get all the signals run down the HDMI cable so I do not need to do a run of component as well??

Thanks
Dak
 

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
You are quite correct, although if you wanted to keep cabl runs going to the projector to a minimum then you could connect the DVD player to the AX5 with component connections and not use the HDMI at all, although that would totally defeat the purpose of have a player and projector with HDMI.
 

Nic Rhodes

Well-known Member
Don't forget that with HDMI the player is doing the deinterlacing, with component you have the option of player or projector, depending on which is best
 

chips

Active Member
Originally posted by The Beekeeper
Don't forget that with HDMI the player is doing the deinterlacing, with component you have the option of player or projector, depending on which is best
Excellent point, on my setup it varies from movie to movie. Whilst I find that 90% of material is best handled by the player, the other 10% is best handled by the projector's inbuilt circuitry.
 

rscott4563

Standard Member
With HDMI the also have the choice of doing the deinterlacing in the player or PJ as HDMI will output 480/576i as well as 480/576/720p etc...
 

Nic Rhodes

Well-known Member
Gordon has beat me to it here, HDMI does 'allow' interlaced signals to be transported (and the better players will do this' ) but I currently not evereyone is doing it and with the current state of the HDMI 'chipset' / compatibility labs I doubt it will be implemented widely just yet, look to Gordons Imersive for the first likely purist example in a few months. The two Pioneers are even currently different!!!

It is just another example of the mess that is HDMI, why couldn't they have just waited for silicon that meets the spec they set? The full spec is rather nice
 

Dak

Standard Member
Er........yes. Not sure I follow all that.

Does it all mean that with this kit list I do not want to run HDMI at all?
 

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What it means is that if you use the progressive resolutions coming out of an HDMI DVD player you will be limited by the quality of the de-interlacing in that player. If it's better than the de-interlacing in the display then all is fine.

If you use the interlaced HDMI output (if it is available) you might get a better result with displays that accept 480i/576i.

For more HDMI/DVI nonsense you could look at a little article I put up on my site Monday.

It's in the new ARTICLES section.

Gordon
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom