Pioneer 868 DIY SDI modification experience?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JensH, Oct 8, 2004.

1. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I plan to add an SDI interface to my Pioneer DV-868. Does anyone have experience with this? I will be using an SDI, based on the National Semiconductor CLC021. I can probably examine the PCB to determine where to connect it, but if someone else had already done it and would share the experience it would of course eliminate some work and uncertainty.

Jens

2. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to let you know that I managed to get the SDI working today! It took some time to figure out where to connect the interface and the mod itself also takes quite a while.

It now seems to be fully functional, connected to a Lumagen Vision Pro HDP.

Now it is time to calibrate the system.

Jens

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well done.
    what did it end up costing you?
    how much of a trouble?
    are you happy with it?

4. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, will be very interested to know how much of a difference SDI makes over the 868's HDMI + own internal deinterlacer and scaler. ie. two purely digital paths, but one using all pioneer circuitry, one using the Lumagens.

What are you playing the Lumagen into?

I have the 434 myself, but that is a little limited in that it wont accept a native resolution signal.

5. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought a new DV-868 in Germany, where I found it at 995Euro + shipping, so in total just over 1000euro. The company does perhaps not have the best reputation, but since the warranty will be void anyway it was not so important to me in terms of after sales support. I did some basic test on the unit, just to make sure it was OK before I started soldering wires into the unit and drilling holes in it!
    Then I made it multi region, using a borrowed Palm to send a command to the player as described elsewhere on this forum. It took some attempts before it finally turned off. It now seems to be OK, accepting region 1 and 2 DVD's. I have also tried a region 1 DVD with RCE encryption (Final Fantasy) which worked fine.

Through a good friend of mine I got an SDI demo board for free, so it only cost me the DVD player itself to get the SDI modded player.

It took some time to analyse and measure the signal connections, but with the help of data sheets for the Analog Devices DAC it was possible to find out where to connect the SDI interface. Then it was just a matter of finding suitable via holes, where I could make a stable connection, without any short circuits.

After connecting it, it was time to do the first tests. I connected it to the scaler and - nothing came out! OK, it could be the cable (I used a 50ohm cable for the first test, not ideal, but might be OK), or it could be some kind of setting.
    After trying different things I gave up and had to bring it along to work, where I have access to all kinds of measuring equipment, including a very good oscilloscope. I checked the clock and the data signal and it looked very weird! Very strange signal amplitude and a lot of ringing. After some time I tried a different input of the oscilloscope and suddenly it was OK. It turned out, that the first oscilloscope probe was not working correctly! Now everything looked fine, with a nice 27MHz clock and some clean data signals, with a good timing and no ringing at all. The SDI output also looked OK with a nice waveform.
    After checking it with the oscilloscope I took it back home to test it again. Still the same result! After reading the data sheet of the demo board it turned out, that there was a jumper, that when installed, it would put the CLC021 in test mode, where it would expect a static input on the data bus! I removed the jumper, and suddenly the picture was perfect! At this point I used a 75 ohm cable. I then tried to put the 50 ohm cable on the second SDI output and worked fine as well!

So, quite some work involved, but on the other hand, finding out how to do it was part of the fun. :)

Jens

6. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    eggybread,

I have the Lumagen connected to a 503MXE. It runs at 70Hz, so there is some judder. I may replace it with an MXE-1 or a Panasonic one day.

Since the 503 does not have HDCP I don't think I will be able to use the HDMI.

Jens

7. eggybread

eggybread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice job Jens!

Have you had a chance to put a film in a see what PQ is like between 868's HDMI and pure SDI output into Lumagen?

What screen are you using?

8. storole

storole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to have a display without HDCP, and I'm interested in a more detailed "partlist" and description on the soldering. ;) I plan on connecting it to a iScanHD.

Some pictures and stuff would be nice! :D

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    Don't think it will be possible to do the comparison yet between the SDI and HDMI outputs as the Lumagen isn't HDCP capable at the moment so there's no point feeding it a HDMI signal! I'd definitely be interested in getting my 868 SDI modded so this is encouraging news for sure..

Cheers
    Andy

10. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have made some scans of the PCB and pictures, so over the next couple of days I will put together a small documentation package.

Jens

11. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have now made a description of the modification. Unfortunately I had to reduce the size of the pictures to fit within the maximum file size allowed.

This modification worked fine for me, but: use it at your own risk!

If you have any questions just let me know.

Jens

Attached Files:

12. storole

storole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JensH!

Great stuff!! What is the partnumber/name of the SDI board?

_______
    storole

13. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    storole

The SDI board was actually an SD021-3EVK evaluation kit from National Semiconductor. You may be able to buy it through your local National Semiconductor distributor. I assume, that a module from Pmsvideo will also be fine, it seems to be based on the same IC, although it seems to be the 5V version.

Jens

14. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Good work Jens

Have you tested all of the other video outputs to make sure they are unaffected??

15. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    X3ELS

I have only briefly checked the component output. I didn't see any problem.

Jens