Pioneer 868 AVi-s / 757AVi-s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanTr, Dec 25, 2003.

1. IanTr

IanTr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I interest anyone in commenting upon the relative (to each other) merits of these two players?

The comparison tool on the Pioneer site reveals that the 757 has various features that the 868 does not. The 868, of course, has the HDMI output, but I won't be using that. I've been unable to determine precisely which of the two is better specified.

I'm trying to make a decision between the two, to use with my VSA-AX10i-s. All thoughts & comments welcomed.

TIA.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As far as I am aware, the 868 is better spec'ed than the 757 in terms of video and audio DAC's, HDMI, iLINK, etc.
    What is it that the 757 has that the 868 does not?
    Bearing in mind the 868 is Pioneer's flagship model...

3. IanTr

IanTr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Pioneer's product comparator, there are some fundamental differences. It certainly doesn't look like the 868 is simply a fuller spec'd 757.

Here are some of the 'important looking' items which feature on the 757 but not the 868;

1) Twin wave laser pickup
    2) Mosquito noise reduction
    3) Block noise reduction
    4) Gamma correction

The 868 has a 216 kHz / 12-bit Video D/A Converter
    The 757 has a 192 kHz : 24-bit D / A Convertor

Less Hz, but more bits. Which is 'better'?

The 868 has the HDMI output, but as I've said, I won't be needing / using that.

I understand that the 868 is the flagship model, and I've got one on order, but looking at the comparator output I'm just not clear where the advantages are.

4. Garnot

Garnot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IanTR,

The 868 has Video DAC 216MHz 14 bits vs the 757 Video DAC 108MHz 12 bits. Clearly, the Video DAC (Analog Devices ADV7314) in the 868 is superior to the one in the 757 (Analog Devices ADV 7300).

Audio DAC on both machines is 192KHz 24 bits/DSD. However, the 868 has 3 Burr Brown PCM1738 (PCM & DSD) for all 6 channels. The 757 has a PCM1738 only for the L & R front. Center, Sub, and L & R surrounds use a DSD1702. The Performance of these DACs are 117db Dynamic Range and Signal/Noise Ratio for the PCM1738 and 106db Dinamic Range and Signal/Noise Ratio for the DSD1702. The PCM1738 DAC has better specs.

Those Mosquito and Block noise reductions are absent. In my opinion, based on what I've seen with my Pio DVD players, these options often reduce some detail.

The 868 has gamma correction in the Video Setting Menu.

I recommend you to download the 868 manual so you can see all the 868 features.

I hope this help you to decide.

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the 757 may have the "chroma upsampling bug", but the 868 apparently doesn't. It must be worthwhile getting the HDMI output, even if (like me) you don't have an immediate use for it.

Probably you will use the iLink for audio, especially if you want to use MCACC. The DAC differences are then academic, as possibly are the video bandwidth differences . Unless I am mistaken, the video DACs will be clocked far below their rated bandwidth.

6. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am in the process of making this upgrade (the DV-S969AVi, which is the region 4 and multi-region equivalent of the 868 should be delivered on Monday).

I must confess that I've been wondering if I've done the right thing. I purchased the new model over the internet (from Singapore) so haven't even demoed it.

The reason I went for it was better video DACs, better audio DACs and, most importantly, no chroma bug.

If you like, I can let you know on Monday or Tuesday how the two compare.

7. IanTr

IanTr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be fantastic. Please do post your observations here.

Ian

8. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you should decide to go for the 757 sound and vision has them in stock for 500 quid.

9. 7MAT

7MAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    anyone have the url for Sound & Vision?

7MAT

10. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I've received my DV-S969 AVi (the same product as the DV-59AVi and, I believe, the 868). I've compared the specs via the Pioneer site in Australia (www.pioneeraus.com.au) and I believe them to be identical.

So far, I'm very impressed and pleased that I've replaced the 755Ai (same as the 47Ai and 757Ai). I'm running the 969 directly to my Sharp LCD TV via component (no DVI, I'm afraid) and audio to my Denon 3803 via the 5.1 analogue outputs. I don't have the 755 anymore so haven't done any side-by-side comparison - these are purely my initial (amateur) observations, having made this particular upgrade.

I've only had the 969 set up for a couple of hours or so, and have by no means finished tweaking it, but my initial impressions (compared to the 755) are as follows:

Picture:

A noticeable improvement. I've watched A Bug's Life and a few scenes from other movies. No chroma bug that I can detect and a definitely crisper, more detailed picture. The picture also seems more 3-D at times - I guess you could say it has more depth.

I should point out that my 755 did not have PAL Progressive (though an upgrade was available), so some of the improvement could relate to that. My copy of A Bug's Life, however, is NTSC and I would have to attribute the improvement to the improved (216MHz/14 bit) video DAC.

On the video side, then, no complaints so far and a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

Audio:

I decided to connect the 969 to my Denon 3803 via the 5.1 analogue outputs rather then digital because I believe the 969 has the same audio DACs as the Denon flagship 5803 so, presumably, would outperform the 3803 (I'd had the 755 connected via a coax output to the Denon, using the Denon's DACs).

The biggest surprise has been the quality of 2-channel audio using the Pioneer's DACs. Leaps and bounds ahead of the Denon. So far, to my ears, it also sounds better than my dedicated Nakamichi CD player and the Denon never achieved that.

Surround sound too is great. On this count I can't yet judge whether the Pioneer outperforms the Denon or not - I haven't yet listened/watched enough DVD and SACD material to judge. But certainly it sounds very good.

In any case, the sound from the Pioneer is good enough that I'm currently happy to use the Denon as basically an amp, with the decoding/processing done by the Pioneer.

Anyway, these are my initial impressions. Setup etc was very similar between the two models and made the upgrade very straightforward. In my experience so far the 969 is clearly a better machine than the 755, as it would want to be for the price. I'm pleased I got it, though do wince slightly at the thought of how much it has cost me.

Hope this is some help.

11. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Url for sound and vsion is soundandvision.uk.com or phone 01204 861861 the 757 is region 1 moded with the pal prog scan upgrade. the source for the same price is www.digitaldirectuk.com or call 01204 414101, Dont know if these have pal prog scan but assume so. So thats it all the cheapest 757's in my home town sunny Bolton.