1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 859 & Surround-EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevebootes, Dec 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. stevebootes

stevebootes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using a Pioneer VSX-859 with a Toshiba 2109 DVD player quite happily. However, I've noticed on surround-EX dvd's (eg. Phantom Menace, Gladiator) that the display doesn't indicate the presence of the additional channel. I get sound out of the surround back speakers, but the amp does that anyway if you force it to EX mode.

Am I missing something here? I get 5.1 and DTS no problems, it's just anything encoded with EX. I can't see anything to change in the DVD or amp setup.

Anyone else got one of these amps? Do you get the all six channels lit on the front panel?

Steve

2. j_watkins

j_watkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I usually use DTS and another digit does appear between [ls] and [rs] digits. I have just now put on a DD EX DVD, and the light does not appear, if i switch to DTS it does.

I believe you have to press the THX button to surround ex or auto to get the full ex. But I do not have any rear speakers so I cannot test this.

I have tried pressing the THX button to surround ex but the display does not get lit, but that may be because it detects I do not have the extra speakers.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any luck as I would like to add the rear speaker soon.

John

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I'm not stating the obvious to you here, but as I understand it DD does not have a'flag' to indicate to your EX decoder that it is a disk with this feature. Whereas the dts ES/6.1 disks all have 'flags' on them that tell your player to initiate ES decoding.

I have the same features on my unit and dts ES & 6.1 comes up automatically but the DD EX disks continue in 5.1 obliviously until you switch it manually to EX decoding.

4. stevebootes

stevebootes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig_Nike: No, not obvious - that's the sort of answer I was looking for! The Pioneer manual says that the 'S' channel indicator should be lit for "Dolby Surround EX source, a DTS ES source, or an MPEG source with surround back channels"

What's the point of having an 'auto' mode to detect the surround channel if DD doesn't carry the flag :rolleyes:

j_watkins: Yes, you need to tell the amp it has surround back speakers attached before it will let you select THX SURR. EX. (or 7-D THEATER, which does quite a good job on ProLogic)

I'll recheck with a DTS-ES source when my mate returns one of them - he's got a new toy for xmas too..

Thanks for your help guys

5. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my 859 setup (christmas present!) and noticed the same thing! DTS always shows the rear center channel but DD does not?!? Ive tryied it on Gladiator-Phantom-Seven all the same! Other than that great amp!:eek:

6. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boys - just got Pearl Harbor and it has a flag for Dolby 5.1 EX !

I put it in and started wathcing and all of a sudden realised that it was decoding the centre rear all by itself.

About time Dolby caught up to dts in this regard.

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you beleive that the DVD case/jacket DOES NOT have 5.1 EX indicated on the back in the audio section ?

They just say it is a standard 5.1 disk !

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Hi

Pearl Harbour is NOT an EX Disc, according to Dolby Labs, THX etc the French company that did the encoding left the flag encoder switched on after working on another film beforehand.

The R1 disc has no flag.

cheers

9. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Left the flag on from the last disk ....... thats unbeleivable.

Are you sure that is the case on the Reg 4 disks ? I notice you say the Reg 1 isn't flagged, what about the Reg 2 ?

Jase - the other thing I was thinking was why would THX put an optimiser on it (with EX capabilities) if the movie is NOT EX.

Also why would THX certify and digitally re-master this disk if they are not going to upgrade it to their premium sound format ?

Thanks for this info - very interesting !

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
  11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Mind you, it sounds pretty good even if you leave your surround back speakers on!!

Planes whizzing over your head etc etc:D

12. stevebootes

stevebootes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This DVD labelling issue is getting really silly now ... it was bad enough when they mis-labelled anamorphic or whatever, but now I don't know who to believe when looking at the audio types on DVD.

Eg., (see earlier thread) I was playing R2 Gladiator and not getting a DTS-ES flag. I look on various sites and they say that R2 Gladiator is NOT DTS-ES, only R1 is. My [R2] copy has DTS-ES written on the back. Who am I supposed to believe? This isn't helped (my original problem) by the fact that my amp and/or dvd doesn't seem to know whether it's got an ES/EX source.

Does anyone know whether R2 Gladiator is DTS-ES or not?

13. stevebootes

stevebootes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, I just found about a million threads on this subject on the Home Theater Software forum. Well at least that's answered my questions on the EX flags!

thanks again

Steve

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    You may have found out already, but R1 Gladiator is DTS-ES Discrete and R2 is DTS-ES Matrix.

R1 is the one to go for!!

cheers