1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 812 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scrapbook, Jun 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have had this amp for some 6 months now and have come up against a slight problem, so hopefully someone can help.

The sub woofer output all of the sudden has gone incredibly low. There seems to be two possibilities for this (the sub is fine as i have tested it with a spare amp)...

a) the amp is cream crackered
    b) i have accidentally changed some settings on the amp. I have had a look through the settings and they all appear normal, but assuming I have changed something has anyone got any advice on where I should look in particular?

Also I have been trying to reset the amp which according to the instructions is achieved by pressing 'Tone' and 'Standby' for 3 seconds until 'Reset' appears. This doesn't appear to work so does anyone know anything different?

2. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello...

I havnt got a fix for your problem but i would realy like to know what you think about your amp, as i want to order one soon.

Thanx :clap:

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Well it is in for repair right now so it will be an interesting experiement getting my old amp out of the loft for the weekend to see whether I notice a reduction in the quality of sound.

I remember when I changed it and tried it for the first time that I didn't notice a huge difference between the two...I was expecting to be blown away by it.

To be honest I am no expert, and in hind sight I probably should have tried a few other amps at the time, but I got carried away with all of the great reviews and it was the perfect fit for my equipment rack!!

I have been happy with it, but from upgrading from a Sony HTK to a full size amp I was expecting a massive difference...not sure I got that in the end...this weekend will make my mind up for me once and for all.

BTW - Fantastic remote control!!! Managed to throw my TV, Cable etc etc remotes in a drawer once and for all!!

4. nimni

nimni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 812 from superfi for £200 (only in store and you have to hurry if you want to find one) and its great I had pro logic before so you can’t compare, my local hifi dealer told me it’s a great receiver and fair with stereo a great price generally there aren’t problem with the 812. so get one !

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Just about to pick up my 812 from the Pioneer authorised repairer!

Had a long chat with the technician over the phone that looked at it. He seems to think that power surges or inconsistent power supply, such as the plug not quite fully in, can sometimes mess up the internals. On this particular occassion despite the menus showing speakers set to 'small' the Amp was thinking 'Large' and diverting much of the bass to the front speakers.

He then went on about having surge protection on the sockets and something about earthing the sub! Supposedly some subs and amps can be earthed together(?) dont know about that(!), but gold connectors would help the conductivity between the two!

Anyway he performed a manufacturers reset (different from a soft reset) on the system, not to be undertaken without a pair of marigolds and wellies on so he said, and all hunky dorey now!

We shall see when I pick it up!!