1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 757i layer change pause?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by juboy, Feb 19, 2003.

1. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder if anyone with experience of the Pioneer 757i could tell me if the layer change pause is slow or barely noticeable?

I'm right down to the wire with a purchase of either a Denon 2800MkII or the 757i.

As the only thing I'm concerned about is picture quality (DVD-A and SACD are totally irrelevant to me) I am wondering whether the deciding factor may well be the fact that the Denon is 'pauseless'.

Although then freezing problems of the Denon do concern me.

Also, I also have a Pioneer 2011 already on order, is the consensus that a Pioneer source should, in theory, sound better through it than from the Denon, as presumably, same brand kit is optimised for it's own range.

And help much appreciated.

2. crispeb

crispeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a slight pause when the layer change occurs but nothing to worry about. Having recently returned a Denon 2800 MK1 due to picture freezing and numerous other glitches I can safely say that I am quite happy to trade away the stepless layer change of the Denon for the peace of mind that the superior reliability of the Pioneer brings. At least I can watch films now without wondering where the next frozen image is coming from.
    The picture and sound quality from the 757 are both top class, in fact I would say that the image in R1 progressive scan is absolutely fantastic.
    Have you considered why the price of the Denon is so cheap? After my experiences I would still not want one at any price even in MK11 guise.
    My 757 is hooked up to a Denon AVR3300 and Pioneer PDP 433 Plasma. I know that the 757 has been optimised for the Plasma but in terms of the sound if you've already ordered the 2011 then it doesn't really matter. I'm sure it will sound great.

3. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The layer change is hardly noticeable, depends whats happening in the film.

I too was going to get the 2800MkII but was pointed in the direction of the pioneer units by a friendly dealer.

Build/sound/picture quality was good from the denon unit but firmware and reliabilty issues put me off.

I'm very pleased with my pioneer dvd and amp setup....good WAF because they are both silver and and have similar styling...should look good when i eventually get a rack sorted for the kit.

If i had the money i would like to get the new AX10i amp and use the iLink feature...but then i'd have to look for a suitable display (hmmm...pioneer plasma) and speakers to match (Hmmm gallo's)

......i'm more than happy with what i've got...but these forums seem to fuel upgradeitus...

Cheers
    VC

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that crispeb, I was looking for someone to give me that extra nudge to spend the extra £150 on the Pioneer... which I think is what I'll be doing :)

5. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juboy,

Info. for Bristol Sound & Vision Show refers to Pioneer demonstrating their new 757ai.

I am going up their tomorrow, so if I remember, I will ask them what's new.

Regards

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks for that Exeter Man. I'll be popping along over the weekend so I guess that room will be a definite port of call. Cheers.

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    If it helps with the original query I can also confirm that the 757Ai is extremely far superior to the Denon. I made a lot of tests and checks before I bought it in comparing with the Denon. I also use it with the 433 plasma and a Denon AVR 3801 receiver....
    ... see you at the Bristol show ha!

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costas, thanks for your input. If possible, could you quantify what you think makes the 757i superior? How is the picture better, is the sound better? If so, how?

Thanks mate.

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    consider this a nudge!:D

I'm trying to decide whether the Arcam dv89 is worth the extra greenbacks over the Pioneer

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would consider the Arcam, but not at £300/£400 more than the Pioneer!

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's the dilemma, some early stage considering to sort out a price bracket.

would you not be in the least bit interested in DVD-A and SACD even if you had a player that could utilise it? DVD-A is one of the reasons I'd like a new player

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Not interested, mainly because it'll be YEARS before anything I'd want to listen to will be available on those formats.

Which does make it odd that I'm considering the 757i. There's something telling me I'm paying a premium for facilities I'll probably never use... which is why the 2800MKII was of interest.

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or in that case the 656 which is a gorgeous player, mind you that does dvd-a too.

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, anyone know which chip the 757i uses for deinterlacing?

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No progressive scan though James, no good to me. I've had the Toshiba 510 for about 9 months and can quite happily say I've not had the slightest inclination to play a DVD-A disc on it.

16. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Juboy
    Here are some details of my evaluation: Tried both Denon and Pioneer with the plasma. The definition on picture quality in my opinion is extremely obvious with the 757Ai. Image presentation is well refined. Rich colours and shadows are shown without any weakness. Coming to CD the sound is great and it is an improvement to the 737 I had in the past. Midrange is extremely clear with excellent detail and plenty of bass. Digital or analogue output both maintain a really good sound output. Again no match to the Denon for me.

I should also make a comment for the Arcam which I tried too and have made some comments elsewhere in this forum. A very good machine but there is no justfication for the extra money with the quality and features available from the Pio 757Ai. Even the Pal prog is not enough to pay the extra! I am sure Arcam will ultimately do it but right now the cause for support of a home product V Japan simply is not enough!