1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 757ai v Arcam DV88

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sounddog, Apr 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    boi boi Arcam DV88 (not the plus), hello Pioneer 757ai

Well our Arcam goes tomorrow, and hopefully the 757 should arrive tomorrow!!

We will play with it a bit and let you know what we think.

I don't know what i'm expecting. A downturn in the performance on CD, but heck our Processor has built in HDCD decoding so it won't do a bad job of decoding cds, and we finally get to play with SACD.

Still not at all sure i've made the right choice selling the Arcam and replacing it with this. I'll let you know my feelings after i've actually played with it for a while.

Steff

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Hi Steff,

If it makes you feel better about your decision, I owned an Arcam DV88 in the past which was a great machine when it worked properly, but the constant problems with DTS dropouts and disc compatibility were damn annoying.

I now own a Pioneer 757 and can confirm it simply has the best picture I have seen from a DVD player on a CRT television. The 6 or so SACD and DVDA discs I have sound fantastic although I consider both formats to be a bonus rather than essential.

The 757 has also played everything put in it without complaint.

As for CD replay, I already own a seperate CD player. For an extra £300-£350 you can pick up a 2nd hand Cyrus CD7 or Arcam CD72/82 which would outperform both DVD players easily.

Let us know how you get on :smashin:

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the 757a compare with the tosh sd900a?

i have a CRT screen (i got on the tosh 36ZP18 bandwagon a couple (?) of years ago) and it doesnt do progressive scan.

i can get the 757 for 600 and the sd900a for 700.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have seen both, though not side by side. I do not often resort to hyperbole with regards to AV kit, but here I would make an exception and say: The Tosh is fantastic. My initial thoughts of the Tosh were that this is the best player, picture wise, that I have seen and build quality is superb (it was through a CRT projector, but I can't remember the name :confused: ). The Pioneer 757i I saw a few weeks ago and, though I didn't experience the same "wow!" of the Toshiba, it was still clearly better than my current player (SD520). For sound quality, I find it difficult to say. I seem to remember liking the Pioneer better, but it is a close thing. That being that both were surprisingly good as CD players, about that of a £500 cd player.
    I also haven't heard any consistent complaints about either player, and the remote controls for both Tosh and Pioneer are a joy to use.

Russell

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I can go one better than Russraff. After the DV88 I bought a Toshiba 900e. I have just replaced the 900e with the Pioneer 757 and certainly wouln't have done so if the picture wasn't better. I had them side by side for a direct comparison and on my 36" CRT the differences to myself, and everyone who saw them, was plainly obvious.

Nothing else to add :)

6. Marcel99

Marcel99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just taken delivery of the 757. I used to use a HCPC, but in the end it was just too much bother. At the moment I have connected my PJ via composite (waiting for the component cables to arrive)

I'd say picture wise the 757 is almost as good on composite as my HCPC was on VGA cable. (Radeon8500 card so high spec enough)

Can't wait for the component cables. As for CD- brilliant, but then I've never heard a £800 CD Player setup.

Overall an extremely impressive machine:clap:

7. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok the 757 it is.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Well we are happy with our 757 so far.

We havent actually sat down all the way thorugh a movie yet just played some favourite bits.

The player arrived yesterday, it's a bit scratched and no iLink cable, basically it seems used i've been asured over the phone it isan't apart from of course being modded, but they have said they will send me out a non scratched replacement on Tuesday.

Anyway, that aside it's great so far, it is so configurable. Initially the picture quality was rather disappointing very washed out and greys instead of black backgrounds. This was quickly resolved as I looked under the settings and it was on a custom Video setting and just resetting this to CRT TV made a huge improvement.

Normal stereo music, is better then I expected. I can't decide about Legato Pro setting ... any comments on it from other owners?

Pink floyd in SACD is awesome. Track 6 "Money" Brilliant.

Well we are now off to watch our first full movie on it. Minority Report here we come!! (I love cheap DVD's from Blockbuster, £7 just cos it had no box).

Cheers

Steff n vikki

9. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ust bought an Arcam DV88+ and it does seen to be rather fussy on the use of Apple brand DVD-R which I find supprising. However, what I find really annoying is that when playing VCD I get nothing out of the digital coax, I have to revert to the analogue output which means changing the source at the amplifier end. I don't understand why it does this even an £80 Mico will give out stereo vis coax/optical!

For the £1000 I have just spent I think Arcam could have paid just a little more attention to detail.

Having said that most comercial disks seem to play fine and there is no other way to describe the picture then outstanding.

I wuld have biught the 757 but fo rtwo things, as far as I know there is no muti-region softwqare hack and it does not output progressive Pal.

Knowing what I know now, I would have waited a little longer as I am sure that within 12 months P.P. will be a fairly standard feature and ieee1394 will probqably also be realitivly common.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Hey but 12months is a really long time ... in the last 12 months we've owned 4 different DVD players now :)

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Paul Reading, what display are u using?

I actually think the 'hack' argument is irrelevant. Chip or hack, the cost of the Pioneer MR is £630, the Arcam MR is £1000.

12. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just bought a 757Ai. Very pleased with the results. I agree with Steff & Vicki in that the CD replay was better than expected. Blown away by 'The Eagles' on DVD-Audio. Can't wait to get a SACD disk to try.
    I'm using a VW11 PJ with component. 757Ai well worth it. Any doubters be left in no doubt! Buy it...
    Cameron.

13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Paul,
    I spent a lot of time testing the 757 against the Arcam before I bought it. You can see many of my comments on various relevant threads in this forum why I finally went for the superiority of the 757 even without PAL PS. The Arcam is a great machine but at £630 the Pioneer is fantastic value for money against features, quality and performance it offers. Furthermore you can convert to multiregion by remote control universal software action or you can buy it as such!

14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought pioneer were one of the manufacturers taking a firm-ish stand on the multi region issue (like sony) and as such could only be hardware modded rather than handset hacked.

15. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    James 45

The 757 can be definitely done by remote but not every pioneer model... check www.dvdchips.co.uk

16. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sound & Vision supplied mine multiregion no probs. £599 + £35 delivery. They also informed me that the Pal Prog update should be out in 6 to 8 weeks. Just a case of downloading, burning it onto disk and playing it in the 757.
    Even when I switch the progressive scan off (albeit compared to my NTSC DVD's at the mo) the picture is fantastic at 8 Ft wide!

17. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I was going to get another Tosh sd900 but they're hard to come by, so I'm now considering the Pioneer 757. But it seems a lot more lightweight (4kg for the Pioneer vs 11kg for the Tosh). I'm just worried that it's a bit flimsy. Can anyone reassure me of it's build quality?

18. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Godfather, I just sold my SD900e to buy the 757. Trust me, it may not weigh as much but it outperforms the Tosh on picture quality easily. Sound is the same, I couldn't tell them apart and you have the bonus os SACD if you ever wish to try it.

Nuff said :)

19. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks Urban. What display are you connecting the 757 to and how? I subscribe to the 'heavier=better" school of thought for most AV kit so I'll have to demo the 757 myself before I'm convinced.

20. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    The "heavier=better" rule of thumb only really works where a large power supply is needed (IMO) - i.e. in an amplifier. Beyond that once you have a good chassis, over engineering it doesn't make much difference.

Having said that ... could always open the 757ai's case and pour in plaster of paris.

Vikki

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't give Comer any more ideas!:D

22. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Not convinced. :p

23. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I have the Pioneer connected to a 36' Panasonic PL30. The detail in the picture is far greater. I had both players here together at the same time and the Pioneer was just so much better.

The problem with heavier = better (which I also believed in) is that it doesn't take into account the electronics involved. The Tosh has a video DAC that is several years old in design, although still a quality item I hasten to add.

The front draw mechanism is also a common talking point with the Tosh, I loved it to bits. Unfortunately (or fortunately to be honest), technology improves and therefore so does the quality of the components.

If Pioneer had put a heavy plate into the chassis, you would buy it without thinking. What do you think weighs so much in the Tosh? The dacs? The electronics?

Nothing more to add really, do you want to watch movies or do you want a furniture piece? get the Pioneer, forget your prejudices, and smile you made the right decision when you see what you have bought. :)

24. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Okay you're not conviced ... so why do you think heavier = better??

25. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Heavier = higher rated PSUs, higher gauge steel used in chassis & case & fascia manufacturer, heavier transport = less acoustic/resonance pickup & problems, heavier gauge PCBs = thicker PCB tracks & glass epoxy PCBs (better), also things like putting overrated heatsinks on components keeps them cooler and increases their life.

Also using completely different & isolated PSUs for the analogue & digital & control stages brings benefits & will add weight.

26. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Anyway ... the Pioneer feels well built and looks the part. I've not physically tried, but I wouldn't thing there is any scope for lateral twisting in the chassis without using silly amounts of force. Not sure about comparitive weights ... but in feel its as solid as the DV88 that it's replaced on our rack.

Yes a higher rates PSU is always good ... but as a DVD player is never going to use vast amounts of power. I've not checked this ... but I don't think either Pioneer or Toshiba use isolated PSUs either.

All in all though ... what really matters is the end result ... which is pretty damn good from the Pioneer (never seen the Toshiba).

Vikki

27. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Absolutely!

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't forget some DVD players use switched mode power supplies, some conventional, some both. Switched mode supplies are light weight.

Weight I have always considered as a good 'feel good' factor but there are some stunning light weight products out there.

29. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I bet the same blinkered view of heavier = better doesn't extend to your choice of mobile phone :laugh:

30. Marcel99

Marcel99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have used my 757 for 2 weeks now and very happy with the results, especially using component video cabling. I'd recommend anyone wanting to upgrade to this pricepoint to test the Pioneer.

Regarding the heavier=better argument, which is heavier, analogue interconnects or digital interconnect? And which is better. Surely efficiency and progress have made that argument slightly obsolete.