Pioneer 757ai and Chroma Bug

dompotter

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi...
I've been using the 757 for about 2 weeks now and I am impressed with the overall quality of the machine.. SACD, CD, DVD-A and DVD Video....
but
The chroma bug is really starting to annoy me..

I thought the chroma bug only applied to 'film' transfers ? The Pioneer displays a '#' on a OSD if the dvd is in 'film' mode, but I seem to observe the chroma bug on non 'film' transfers.. e.g. the red main title at the start of Disneys 'Beauty and the Beast', which looks terrible...

Also I have read that some players (Denon) can be firmware upgraded to fix the chroma bug...
Could Pioneer do this with the 757 ?

Regards,
Dom

No it's not just film transfers

It's to do with the MPEG decoder in the player (no matter whether the footage started as film, video or CG)

I have a Pioneer (very noticeable) & a Denon (much better job). I believe Denon did a firmware fix that improved but didn't eliminate it completely whilst they have sorted a filter for newer versions (I suppose something like the Chroma Filter on iscan Ultra's)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Denon 3800, and the soon to be released 2900, do not suffer from the Chroma bug.

Originally posted by vonhosen
No it's not just film transfers

It's to do with the MPEG decoder in the player (no matter whether the footage started as film, video or CG)

I have a Pioneer (very noticeable) & a Denon (much better job). I believe Denon did a firmware fix that improved but didn't eliminate it completely whilst they have sorted a filter for newer versions (I suppose something like the Chroma Filter on iscan Ultra's)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Vonhosen is absolutely correct, it is the MPEG2 decoder not the source material. Sky digiboxes also suffer from this, even the lastest Sky+ ones.

StooMonster

I would be very wary of claims that Denons are without chroma bugs until we get players to test, this is generally Denon code for we have tried a filter to minimise the effect, but not eliminate it. The only one I know for sure is something like a 1600 built on a Panny.

3800 suffers from chroma bug. there's a firmware upgrade, but t suffers out of the box.

Most of the Denon players A1, 3800 etc do not suffer from chroma bug.

Early players that did show the problem got a firmware fix to correct it. Later players had new silicon from ESS which had the fix built in.

My A1 has never shown any signs of the chroma bug on any of the known problem material or anything else for that matter.

If you want to read further try the DVD shootout No3 on the following site.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom