Pioneer 757 Vs Denon 2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kumamoto, Sep 26, 2003.

1. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am torn between these two players. I currently own a sony dvps7700 dvd players and are looking to buy either of these players.

I am impressed by pioneer's solidness and flawless perfomance, firewire output is a bonus as well, but i am also aware the denon 2900 is a slighly better players and has excellent video and multichannel music playback. I prefer the denon to match up with my Receiver avr 3801, but i am discouraged by all the problem owner are experiencing with this player.

Any opinions as regards to these two players will be highly appreciate

2. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm choosing between those two and marantz Dv8400.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Joe,

I think the Pioneer 757Ai would be an excellent choice - mine has performed flawlessly for the last 9 months. Alternatively, you might want to wait for the upcoming 868AVi which has an HDMI output for scaling up to 720p or 1080i if you have a suitable display device.

Steve

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done a fairly close comparison of 2900 and 656 for SACD and DVD-A

The Denon was much better. Smoother and more musical without loosing any detail.

The 757 does support bass management of SACD which the 656 does not.

What surprised me was that I much preferred the Pioneer picture....now what do I do ?

:D

5. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done a fairly close comparison of 2900 and 656 for SACD and DVD-A

The Denon was much better. Smoother and more musical without loosing any detail.

The 757 does support bass management of SACD which the 656 does not.

What surprised me was that I much preferred the Pioneer picture....now what do I do ?

:D

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I was the opposite.....i much preferred the 2900 pic, running through my 42" RP set.
    Both pic and sound was a lot better than my 656 and the fact that it had no layer change was the winner for me........but once i started getting probs with the 2900, it went back and i am now back to the 656.

7. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys for your input, Pioneer 757 Ai wins .I was given a price of £599 multiregion with PAL progressive scan output. Sorry Denon.

8. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Chris,

What problem did you have with the 2900 ?

Gary

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It started freezing on one of my disks ( CEOTTK R4) and it would not lock on to Pal disk's very well......i think it was something to do with the Multitregion upgrade.....the front F,V,G display would keep changing from G-V and back again...no probs with NTSC disks, it would stay on F for them, all the way through....but once i noticed it changeing, i kept looking at the display instead of the film, waiting to see if it would do it again and most of the time it did.
    I sent it back to Denon and was told (Which i have now found out that 4 other people have had the same response from denon) that, this is the first time they have heard of this problem and it was prob down to the multiregion firmware and as such, could not do anything about it, as once it has been multiregioned, they cannot touch it......they put the freezing down to grease on the disk and the fact that it was a R4 disk, trying to be played on a R2 machine.

Denon are just not intrested in prob's....they just want your money, unless it becomes a world wide prob.
    I like denon gear, but it is just a shame that if something goes wrong, then it is better to get your money back, than trying to get it sorted........still i will wait and see what the new machine will be like and might get one of them.

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've had me 2900 for about 6 weeks now and think it's fantastic :smashin:

I only have R2 discs so have not messed around with the firmware.

The picture quality is great on both my Sony 30" LCD TV and my Sony HS10 PJ.

I have not noticed any trouble with the FVG indicator.

I have also not tried it with any SACD or DVD-A discs yet as I have not yet bought any...have been meaning to get a copy of the Linkin Park DVD-A though.

My only complaint would be that it does not remember where you have got upto in a film if you stop part-way through.

I have teamed it up with a Denon 3803 amp.

Cheers, Lee

11. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Chris

I've had my denon 2900 for a month now and have not noticed the problems that you have encountered (although I havent looked much into it). Did you try mode 2 progressive to see if that had any effect?

Regards

Rob

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Rob.
    I did not try the progressive mode as my TV only accepts interlace......Not sure if the prob i had would of affected the Pic, but it never did on interlaced......i thought the player was brilliant, but once i noticed that annoying change on the display, i saw it everytime i watched a pal disk.
    I think my prob is, i have all my gear stacked next to the TV....maybe if i'd had it stacked somewhere else i would not of noticed and would still have the player now.

13. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi Chris

I had a look last night while i was watching good will hunting on PAL. The indicator did change from G to V and back again like you said but it didnt happen too frequently. I looked for a change in picture quality as I have mine running through prog scan but couldnt notice anything. I guess you could have always turned off the dvd display when watching films if it was bothering you too much.

cheers

Rob

14. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    For what it's worth.

I've a Denon 2900 too.

I'm very impressed with it. Equally my dealer let me borrow two, for a week, one with firmware upgrade to multi region, one left purely region 2.

For quality, the player that had not been mucked about with won on picture quality, though I wasn't looking for, and hence did not notice display flicking.

I have decided, because of the picture quality issues to buy the unmodified version. I realy don't think that there is much reason to buy NTSC discs anymore (unlike my days of laserdisc, which i still use).

Incidently, I also decided to pay full price for the Denon, through a reputable dealer for exactly these issues. I wanted the facilty to home dem and compare models, I wanted advice, in the context of my own system on the best way to go (re DVD A & SACD) and I want the hassle free nature of a three year warranty (free) and the knowledge that my dealer will bend over backwards to help should any problems arise.

After all, it is your dealer who is responsible for putting any problems right, not the manufacturer. Any dealer worth any clout, will have a raport with the manufacturer and be able to solve any problems in a timely and satisfactory manner.

I speak from experience of a Meridian CD player (which I still own) that developed a fault after three and a half years, I took it in for repair, expecting a hefty bill. It was returned, from Meridian within five days, repaired, upgraded to latest spec, free of charge AND I had a loan player while it was away.

If these pages have taught me anything, it is don't buy cheap on the internet, or modify the equipment and risk invalidating the guarantee.

You may save a few quid, but seem to gain a bucketload of heartache and hassle.

Nothing can beat the value of a good dealer, and a raport built over deveral years

15. PAUL RODGERS

PAUL RODGERS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 2900 for a couple of weeks now and i have got to say the machine performs brilliantly, i had a few problems at first with pal progressive not working on my plasma but that was down to my plasma. I have set it up on ntsc and progressive scan and the picture quality is fantastic.I previusly owned a pioneer dvd 656 which i had compatibilty problems with my plasma with but the actual quality of picture was excellent. To me it fell down to taste and the block of gold 2900 wins hands down.

AND NO MORE SHOUTING FROM ME