1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 747a, not quite sure

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gadjet, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am 90% sure of buying the pioneer. The main reason I want a new DVD (hitachi 505 present player) is to have a crystal clear picture. From my present you can understand why. I was going to buy Toshiba 900, but then the Pioneer came out. The reason for the change being picture quality and DVD-Audio ans SACD.

There are not many views on the 747 on this forum. Is the picture as good as the reviews, or should I forget DVD-Audio and SACD and go for Tosh 900.
    Please give me your views.
    Phill

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gadjet,
    If you are wanting crystal clear picture quality, forget Pioneer 747, excellent all rounder but PQ about the same as typical sub £200 player such as Toshiba SD220.
    At a reasonable price the only two to consider are discounted Toshiba SD900e and discounted Denon 2800.
    The Toshiba may not have enthusiast following but the build quality and picture quality are terrific.
    The Denon has the right credentials, slightly inferior build but slightly better picture quality, more than slightly in both cases perhaps.
    The only player that is within reach moneywise that is comparable is the excellent Arcam FMJ-27, but I would choose between the Denon or Toshiba.

3. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

Just seen the Denon 2800 at HiFi Junkies for £550, bargain for saying the other players are knocking on for a £1000, bit steep for me at this time.

If anybody finds a better price for the 2800 please post them here, I would be very intrested!!!!!

:eek:

4. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank You,

I will buy the Toshiba 900, it is definately picture quality that I want, it would be nice to have the extra audio but its only an extra. I wont be playing that much music anyway, and how long will it take to see any music with sacd and dvd-a .

Thank you for your help,
    phill

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gadjet - what are you going to view the DVDs on?
    the tosh is overkill really unless you are going to use a projector or big screen...
    a mid range Tosh like the 510 would make more sense maybe,
    and still have almost exactly the same picture quality to the 900e.. (according to the HCC tech specs anyway).

NB ..the Tosh 900 only does DVD-A, and not SACD.
    there are hardly any DVD-A discs but a reasonable amount of SACDs and growing.

a Sony or Philips SACD/DVD player might be worth looking at also.. Philips 962 and the mid range Sony model.

just my twopenneth.