Pioneer 747A - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Duncan Harvey, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone heard or seen anything re this new deck.

From the specs it looks amazing - all of Pioneers video processing and noise reduction circuitry plus the holy grail of sound - DVDA and multi channel SACD.

I've seen it online for £899 which doesnt appear to shabby.

Reason I want it is that I've just bought a Tosh 56WHOB and for the first time I'm actually seeing artefacts on screen. I put this down to the fact that with a screen this size, its unforgiving with poorly encoded material. Then again with Toy Story 2 its incredible!

Thoughts anyone?

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too am looking into this player. I'm hoping to spend a bit less though. I was gonna buy a Pioneer 646A, but from HCC's review i'm not too impressed.

Pioneer have got it a bit wrong, £400 for the 646A, and £899 for the 747A? Thats over double, I'm pretty sure the 747A will come down to about £600 by Jan/Feb.

Sony have got the 900 which seems pretty good, so i'm sure Pioneer will drop the price to compete with the Sony. Lets hope anyway.

3. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is a lot of discussion on avsforum about the 747.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16822
    I'm about to purchase a Sony VW11HT projector, so I am very eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 747 to see if it is any good.

The 747 is said to be able to output PAL progressive(576p) with a hack. Still unconfirmed. Many people are also waiting to see if it has the Chroma bug that most MPEG decoders have. You only really notice these things on a large screen.
    Hopefully we'll see it before Christmas.
    I hope we get some good reviews too, soon.