Pioneer 747 Release

Cool-hand

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard anything whatsoever about the release of the Pioneer 747 yet. Every retailer and mail order company under the sun is taking orders but none of them can give a definitive answer!

Don't call it's just for fun!!!

Why dont you concider a939a, Its dvd audio, It has a tripple layer chassis,Its been fitted with pioneers latest dac,s for the front and centre channels,rear channels same as 737,its also been upgraded on the electrical side ,with filters for noise elimination,its not SACD but thats not so bad as theres no software at the moment,even when theres software to choose from, then youl be probably looking for another new player. what you can also do ,is call pioneers customer service dept and ask them for the differences, i did,Good luck.

You don't mention the 12bit/108MHz video DAC on the 747. :eek:

Grubert,Im so sorry i didnt mention the video dac on the 747 ,May be you can enlighten us further ,with all the information that you have on the 747

It's an Analog Devices ADV7300. As said by more technical people (Charles Hansen from Ayre), you need higher resolution DACs because they are not perfect. A 10-bit DAC is required to get even close to realizing the full 8 bits of resolution encoded on the disc. Each picture adjustment in the player affects the resolution so you need to upsample the signal.

Allegedly, it will be possible to hack this player to get PAL progressive.

On a side note, the 747 has double layer ground metal frame.

I decided to stick with the Toshiba sd900e and say sod-it to the sacd but only cos i heard it wasn't perfect on the 747 (I still want sacd though, but on a dedicated machine) trying to cram to many goodies on one machine just isn't healthy!

My Tosh gives me a truely stunning picture and fantastic sound! I'm just always trying to find that little bit extra.
I took a trip up to Techtronics a few days ago (it's well in the sticks!) and demo'd the Sony 9000es which was pretty good looked smart and as normal had an easy and colourful menu navigation and the 939 and too be honest I was not too impressed with the 939. The pic wasn't bad at all but it wasn't fantastic and the machine itself (mechanicly) felt cheap n nasty, like a Matsui unit or something. When the disc tray spat out at me I just though "Matsui". Sorry!

My only problem is if I buy a dedicated SACD player I need another 6 phono inputs which the Denon 3802 or any other unit I know of, does not have if I want multi-channel sound. Thats where the 747 is a winner I guess. God Damn........:confused:

I don't like making compromises. As for software, there are currently around 70 dvd-audio titles of any good available and over 200 SACD titles, what with Sony having loads of sister companies in the music world and them all clubbing together to re-release cd's in the new format, I think they may have the advantage here this time. SACD is superior to dvd-audio whether you like it or not. For titles out on all new formats at ;-

www.vivante.co.uk

KIT
Pioneer 503HDE plasma screen
Toshiba sd900e dvd player
Denon 3802 receiver
KEF 5002 sub/sat 6.2 (twin subs/centre rear)
ITV digital (for what its worth!)
Chord interconnects
QED Silver Ann. speaker cable

Can i just add that the Toshiba's have the 540 Line Res feature where as the Pioneer 939 doesn't. IMO the extra 40 lines makes a lot of difference. This would explain why the Toshiba beat the Pioneer 939.

The new Pioneer 747 has a 540 Line Resolution picture and is 12-Bit 108MHz. I am looking forward to its picture performance!

Granted.
I really really hope the new Pioneer 747A is the dogs dodarr and that it blows everything away............cos if it does I'll be first in line.
Any pre-reviews I've read or hearsay I've heard I take with a big pinch of salt, especially from the big 'hifi/cinema mags'.

I'm looking forward to demo-ing it or hopefully seeing it at the Bristol show next month........trust your all be there? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom