1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer-747 or Toshiba SD900E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jasonjo, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi,

I currently own a Pioneer-737 and am looking to upgrade to get better picture, better CD sound and possibly DVD-A/SACD.

I have been looking at the new Pioneer-747 and the Toshiba SD900E (which is a good price now) - any ideas on a comparision between the two or which to go for?

Anyone know how the SD900 sounds with standard CD's?

I have auditioned both the Cyrus DVD7 and Arcam DV88 and have ruled these both out for various reasons...

Any suggestions?

JJ

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SD900E is a serious piece of audio kit. CD's sound excellent as you would expect though I have no info on how it compares to the Pioneer. Depends what you rate more highly, picture or sound, all I can say is the Tosh excels at both. Ultimately you'll have to watch (and listen) to both and make your own mind up. My moneys on the Tosh. Just.

3. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the Tosh and it is excellent! The CD sound was a big improvement from my Marantz CD63 IMO. A little thinner, but much more cleaner (add Clearlight RDC cones fore even better clarity in the bass end). DVD-A is also very good (no bass management though), but I have not had any other DVD-A player at home to compare? The picture is fantastic and can be tweaked a lot, to get it just right! The chroma bug has only ever raised it's ugly head a few times, unless I just can't see it? I have not seen the 747 in action to claim the Tosh is better, but I can tell you it is very good indeed! I paid £1200 for it and at the current £700 or less it is a steal!!

Cheers Kane

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi - Quick update on this...

Just bought the Tosh from LEConcepts for £699 (£300 less than any other website)...

I had a Pioneer-737 before and the Tosh is quite an imporvment (I was very surprised as I thought the 737 was good!!!).

Better picture, better movie sound, better CD sound, much better operation (much quieter, touch and feel etc). It is sooo well built also...

I was also lucky enough to get the last firmware for the player (version 0.20 I think). THis seems to allow RCE playback automatically rather than using the disc swap out method. Tested with R1 Hollowman after playing an R2 disc.

JJ

5. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ,

Have you checked out component and progressive yet? The 900's deinterlacing of NTSC is pretty damn good, R2 component is also the business.

One thing I am interested in is how the picture looks when you switch to progressive when playing an R2 disc. Generally the picture is crap and looks wrong but with your latest firmware things might be different. Let us know.

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd like to know too! I still haven't decided whether to go for the Arcam FMJ, Denon 2800 or Toshiba.

I didn't realise the Toshiba can do PAL Progressive... is that correct?

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi,

Can't test progressive as my current TV doesn't support component video input.

Looking to get a projector later in the year - maybe I can test then...

To my knowledge, it can only do prog on NTSC...

JJ

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Apparently the Toshiba will convert Pal to NTSC for progressive scan output. Not the best solution but at least it does something.

It was mentioned in Home Cinema Choice when they did the round up of DVD Audio players a while ago.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    sigh...if only I could use my component video out connections :mad:

JJ

10. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

Strictly speaking the 900 does not do progressive in PAL. However, progressive is selectable from the remote (the button is under the cover at the bottom - top left I think), if you play a R2 disc and press stop you can then select progressive with the button and resume play as normal, obviously this is only possible through component. The problem is the picture looks odd, its watchable (barely) but there are a lot of weird artefacts going on in the picture. This may or may not be the same for the new firmware version hence my previous question.

For info, there has been talk elsewhere of a hacked firmware which allows proper PAL progressive from the 900, the source being Toshiba itself!!! This really should have filtered into the public domain by now so I would conclude it is nothing more than hot air. The 900's replacement though may be a different kettle of fish altogether.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Buy a Tosh 900 for £700 and a 770 SACD for £300. Miles better IMHO could even save money on a SACD if you wanted with a lower model but still better performance. Better performance all round just in two boxes

12. Jan_Assembler

Jan_Assembler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the layer change faster with SD900E than it was with DV-737.

I currently own dv-737, and I am also considering buying this player.

Jasonjo you also mentioned that it is quieter.... That is good, because sometimes the Pioneer is very annoying with disc noise.

Thx

JKT

13. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    what layer change :)

Its barely noticable on the 900e :)

On my sony 735 there was a deffinate pause in the layer change
    but with the tosh rarely notice the change and its more a loss of sound for a fraction of a second than a pause.

14. Jan_Assembler

Jan_Assembler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to hear that, with DV-737 it's almost 2-2.5 sec. and that's too much... All on all it's still much nicer than to flip disc over.... But faster is nicer...

Are there any particular dvd's that don't work right with 900E...

Iam eager to get a player that don't have any faults playing discs...

With Pioneer and my humble 400+ dvd's, I have had three cases when 737 is'n up to task.... Dinosaur: CE, Akira:Tin Limited Edition
    and the latest Jeepers Creepers.. With doesn't play the movie at all.....

JKT

15. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JKT,

Can't vouch for Jeepers Creepers but Dinosaur-CE and Akira Tin Box both work perfectly on my modded 900. The Dinosaur problem on Pioneer players, which surfaced initially in the US, was the main reason why I chose the Tosh, lucky for me as I was on the verge of buying the Pioneer. I own just over 200 dvd's and have not come across ANY disc the Tosh cannot play, and that goes for other regions, region free and RCE:)

16. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way,

JSW is right, the layer change on the 900 is hardly noticeable. In fact, there are many ocasions where it is not noticeable at all.

17. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Just watched Jeepers Creepers and no problems at all :)

no layer change noticable either :)

18. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with other users just bought the SD900 and I'm extremely happy with it, picture quality through the component video sockets is nothing short of stunning.

The layer transition delay is now unnoticeable or close to it on all of my disks, whereas on my old Pioneer 717 there was always a significant delay.

19. Jan_Assembler

Jan_Assembler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about seamless branching dvd's.... for example T2:UE... Does they work as they meant to work.... There is also been several player problems with these disc's....

I don't think though that this kind of machine, does have this prob
    but it's nice to know from the owners....

JKT

20. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorted...to answer my original question...

Tried the pioneer, tried the toshiba - bought an Arcam DV88...;)

JJ

21. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ,

Hmmm. I'd be interested to know what swung it for you. I checked out the Arcam and much preferred the PQ on the Tosh. The problems with certain firmwares on the Arcam, as mentioned on other threads, didn't help either. Seems the Tosh has virtually no vices which has been borne out during my ownership. Through an 11HT on a Stewart Grayhawk it is absolutely stunning.

Good luck.

22. Giblets

Giblets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been following this tread because I had short-listed the following players as an upgrade from my Poineer 525:

Pioneer 747
    Denon 2800
    Arcam DV88

I hadn't concidered the Toshiba 900e because I thought the price was £1,300.....

So here's my 2p, for what it's worth.

I borrowed an Arcam DV88 for the weekend and although the quality of the audio and video was very good, personally I did not think it justified the £900 price tag. Unfortunately the discs took 15 seconds or so to load and the audio became out of sync with the video during playback. Obviously the demo unit was faulty, but it left me concerned about the build quality/reliability and put me off.

Since reading this thread I found the Toshiba 900e could be bought for £699 from LE Concepts (many thanks to whoever posted the info). So instead of being sensible and demoing the 747 and 2800, I took the plunge and bought the Toshiba.

It arrived yesterday and I can honestly say that the Toshiba is stunning in every aspect. The unit feels so solid, picture is amazing, but most of all the sound... The first film I watched was MI2 and could not believe how much audio detail I had been missing, every tiny detail was so clear. Needles to say CD audio is also spanking. I love it.

Ok, so I can't comment on the 747, wish I could, but I can say that I don't think you'd regret geting the Toshiba.

23. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    just ordered the tosh SD900E from LE concepts for tomorrow(sat 10)

CAN'T WAIT :D

DVD

24. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    What swung it for me with the Arcam...ok here goes...

What was important to ME....

Very good video, excellent CD replay, mutliregion without mods, compat with pronto, ability to upgrade in future without binning the box and dealer support if there are any problems...

Denon 2800 - it seems complete pot luck whether you get a good player or not...the thread on this forum for video artifacts shows how many of the players cannot even play basic scenes without blocking/artigfacts. CD sounds wasn't exactly stunning either.

Toshiba 900E - very nice player, my second fave, but didn't feel convinced with CD replay. Also, why do companies insist on using their own finish which deosn't match anything else and only release the player in ONE finish. Black may be less fashionable, but it is nice to have the choice.

Pioneer 747 - nice machine, again not convinced with CD replay

The Arcam fulfils all of my requirements where the other players only satisfy 80-90% of them.

Oh and also the fact that Arcam are the only dealer who actually participate in this forum (take a bow John Dawson :)) - when was the last time you saw a post from the chairman or Pioneer, Toshiba or Denon. :rolleyes:

JJ

25. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    JJ,

You could of imported a US model which is black (9200) and can be had for $599.

CD replay I think is superb, maybe too good as it shows up poor discs all too easily.

DVD-A Discs again sound superb on the Tosh.

I nearly didn't consider the Tosh because of its colour as all me kit is silver but glad I did as it blends in nicely.

If I had gone the Arcam route though I'd of gone for the fmj27 and not the dv88.

26. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    yeah - I liked the FMJ too, but £600 extra is quite a bit...

Tosh was OK, just thought the DV88 matched my needs better...

Next time I'll buy the TAG!!!

:D

JJ

27. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    p.s. I was just answering chicken balti's question....but thanks for your input ;)

28. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ,

Thanks for your honest reply. The main reason for my question was that my brother bought the DV88 when it was first released. He obviously has a very early firmware version but has not experienced any of the problems reported by other users and has never upgraded his firmware either. Thats not to say that the player has been problem free, he did have problems with vcd's which played without any sound which I think have more or less been sorted.

Personally, I can't complain about the finish of the Tosh as it blends well with my Denon A1SE and Mitsubishi VCR. CD replay is pretty damn good but I would admit it is not quite as good as the Arcam though DVD-A does redress the balance somewhat.

Your priorities appear to have laid with decent cd audio which is precisely why my brother bought the Arcam. In my particular case PQ was the absolute priority. I guess we both ended up with exactly what we wanted.

By the way, has anyone seen the Pioneer 979 in US black? Now that is one sexy looking player!

It is interesting for potential buyers of either player as both have their strengths and (not many) weaknesses but the price for the Tosh from LEconcepts makes it a bloody bargain.

29. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually did demo the Arcam before buying the SD900E and I would agree with you that the Arcam is a fair bit better with CD's but I reckon the picture quality on the Tosh is stunning, I ended up paying £900 for the Tosh, and I would honestly say its a real bargain at £700

30. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'm VERY tempted to get the Tosh 900E. Has anyone upgraded to it from another Tosh player? I've a Tosh 100E connected via RGB to a Tosh 56" RPTV and the picture is fantastic. So I'd really like to know if I'm likely to notice any improvement in picture quality (using RGB, as the TV doesn't support component). I know the best thing to do is probably arrange a home demo but I'd appreciate any opinions before I take that step.

Thanks!