1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 747 Component vs. 868 HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danny daniell, Feb 20, 2005.

1. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    As above,i am currently using a 747 component into my 505XDE. Just wondered whether the 868 through HDMI would be a worthwhile improvement for the cash. I plan to move into HD DVD/Blu-Ray as soon as they are available: should i wait for the new formats or change DVD now?
    Thanks for any input

Dan :)

2. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    O.k, has anyone tried any of the better quality HDMI players between component & HDMI?

Dan

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hi danny. i also used to have the 747 and changed to a Denon 3910 for 2 reasons.
    1: Easy to make multy region through a firmware update.
    2: The use of HDMI/DVi to upscale the picture to 720p or 1080i.

In my opinion, there is a big difference in picture quality through HDMI/DVI for 2 reasons. one is that the picture is being scaled to 1080i and two because its a digital conection where as component is analogue.

There is one more thing. Most new player like the 868 and the 3910 I use, is that the D/A converters are also better. The 747 uses a 12bit 108mhz converter where the 868 and the 3910 use 12 or 14bit @ 216mhz.
    So even if you continued to use component you would see a picture imporovement.

If you have the money I would say that the 868 or the 3910 are worth geting. But if you dont have the money and you are happy with your DVD player, then wait for HD DVD or Blu Ray.

You will probably have to get a new Amp too so these new formats will be costly to begin with.

My 3910 is the last DVD player Ill ever buy. Next will be one of the new formats that are coming out. Still I love my 3910 and the picture quality is amazing. I also noticed an improvement in the sound too.

Last thing, being able to make the 3910 multy region with ease is still one of the main reasons why I got this player and im very happy with that fact as I dont need to worry about ordering movies from any one country in particular.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yup, did a comparison on my 868 .. HDMI won but mainly because it can scale to 720p on DVI but not component. If I used 576p on both then it was close, but that depends as much on the display as it does on the player, which is why I was reluctant to offer an opinion since you're not comparing like for like.

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks guys,
    As you can appreciate,having a spanking new HDMI plasma, i am keen to see the best of it. Looks like i may have to take the 747 to market :laugh:

Dan