pioneer 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by j.fitz, Nov 14, 2000.

1. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone bought this player yet and if so can it be compared with the 626 or is far more upmarket.

------------------

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not had much experience with the 626 but have owned the 717 for two years. I had a couple of hours with the 737 whilst trying out the Metz Artos progressive scan TV.

Although my main interest at the time was the TV's performance I was interested in whether I should 'upgrade' to the 737 so here's a few observations.

Firstly it has component interlaced and progressive output but progressive for NTSC only. I am hoping that the DVD player hacking companies will be able to enable a PAL progressive output soon.

The trick play features are supposed to have been greatly improved over the 717 which could not do any trick play properly due to the fact that it couldn't fully decode all frames during picture search and slow motion. Forward slow motion on NTSC DVDs was about its best trick. The 737 can now do frame by frame slow motion in both directions and fully decoded fast picture search back and forth. However, unfortunately in trick play mode it will only output half resolution images, fields that look to have been linedoubled using line repeat and the results are aweful! For soom reason Pioneer seem to be unable to program quality trick play into their machines, something Sony and Panasonic have been doing for years.

The picture quality was excellent, better colour balance and sharper than my 717. The shapening filters are also surprisingly useful. In fact I was very impressed with the three digital sharpness controls. I don't normal use sharpness features due to artificial edges and hardness produced in the images but the 737's were actually a benefit for a change.

Sound quality seemed much the same as the 717 although this aspect was more difficult to assess in the circumstances, but was certainly clean and dynamic but still not as smooth as my Marantz CD63-mkII K.I.Signature CD player which is some years old now.

Anyway, my conclusion is that I would consider trading in my 717 for the 737 despite the crap trick play feature which I am used to on my 717 anyhow.

[This message has been edited by Ludae (edited 15-11-2000).]