1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ace007, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Can owners of the Pioneer737 tell me what you think of the player and can you tell me what the layer change is like?

Many thanks in advance for your comments

Cheers
    Ace

2. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone????

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ace,

No direct use of the 737 - my palms keep itching though !. I have read that the layer change is VERY slow on this model.

If layer change is aimportant, I would hold out a while - the new Denon 2800 I beleive has a "buffer", which effectively removes the problem of layer change (also has a better de interlacing chip set for Pro-scan - check out the AVS forum for more details.

Of course , that assumes the citizens of this sceptered Isle will be deemed worthy of this machine - the euro website has no mention of it, only the US site.

After Toshibas disgraceful decision to "downgrade" its 500 model (no pro scan)for us Brits, It would be a worrying trend to see Denon follow suit.

Anyone know if we are due the 2800 ??

4. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Tiberious,

I did get my Pioneer737 yesterday and it IS a great performer!

Yes you can notice the layer change but it's not the worst i've seen. I guess I can live with it! It does bug me that you can have Anti-shock for a £30 Discman and they can't sort out this layer change on DVD players!

Pictures seem to show more detail, they look Fantastic!!!

Got to go and test out more of my DVD's!!!!

See ya

Ace

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ace,

I would to know if you are using the digital or analog sound outputs of th 737 and how do you find the quality of the sound both in CD, AC-3 and DTS.

Is you machine code free? If so, does it have any problem playing region 1?

In your opinion, how much more would you have to pay for a better player, twice or more the cost of yours?

I am asking this because I am planning to get one with an SDI output, but the cost is much higher.

Thanks for your help,

Raymond

6. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Raymond,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I've been busy.

I am using Digital Output and I am impressed with the quality of all CD,DD & DTS.

Yes my machine is Code Free. I had to buy it as I was having problems playing Hollow Man. Needless to say it spins without incident on my Pioneer737.

I paid £650 for my player mainly for the Progressive scan feature. I plan to use it with ProScan capable projecter, maybe this year, if not next!

I see this as a future investment, I do slightly regret not waiting 2-3 months longer for the purchase of my Yamaha DSPA2 Amp. While I am pleased with it's performance I wish it DD-EX & DTS-ES, nevermind, hopefully I will be earing loads of money by the end of the year, I'll use the A2 in my bedroom and get a New Amp for the ARENA! [​IMG]

Anyway I hope my answers help you

Cheers
    Ace

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Scuse my ignorance but what is "Layer Change"?
    Ta
    Dave

8. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave N,

Don't be scared to ask any questions! no matter how stupid they may seem. All the decent guys round here will try and answer them as much as possible!

Basically these are the different types of DVD Discs:

DVD-5
    Single Layer, Single Side. 133 Mins.
    The Basic and commonly used type.

DVD-9
    Dual Layer, Single Side. 240 Mins.
    Will be the standard DVD format.

DVD-10
    Single Layer, Two Sided. 266 Mins.
    These 'Flippers' are being phased out.

DVD-14
    Side1 - Single Layer, Side2 - Dual Layer
    DVD-9. 373 Mins.

DVD-18
    Dual Layer DVD-9 on both sides. 480 Mins

The sides with more than one layer are two very thin discs which have been sandwiched together. The layer change is when the Laser on your DVD player re-focuses to read the second disc/Layer. The Layer change can cause most current players to pause for 1-2 seconds. I have a DVD-Rom Drive on my PC and the Layor change is Totally Seamless. you can't see it. This is because the data is first cached before being played. This is very similar to the Anti-Shock mechanisms found on CD-Players. The data stream remains uninterupted.

I hope I have been able to explain it without confusing you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards
    Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace007 (edited 02-01-2001).]

9. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way does anyone know what happend to my other thread on this Forum???

The Topic is just blank, you can't access it!

Any idea's??

10. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on a dual layer disc, it is a short "breakup" of picture , while the laser goes from the top layer, to the lower layer (bit like having to turn a record over, only both " sides" are on the same side.....errr wise words mate !!).

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ace - top answer, thanks

Dave

12. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious,

Does your picture actually "breakup"? it should just pause for a second! If yours is breaking up I wouldn't say it was normal and would have it checked it out if I were you

Or do you mean a break in the data stream?

Cheers
    Ace

13. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave N,

No problem glad to help out [​IMG]

Ace

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ace,

Thank you very much for your reply. It has been very helpful.

Raymond