1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 737, with my system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jasbyuk, Dec 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been reading a few review of the Pioneer 737 DVD player, and frankly im impressed. There was however one thing which confused me somewhat... one review mentioned "Can be complicated; you need a high-end cinema system to benefit from all the features".

Ok, this is my setup: -

Marantz SR5200 receiver,
    B&W 601 S2 fronts
    Eltax HT2 Bipolar rears
    (soon to buy) B&W center (I forget the name, but just in case ill look into more choices)
    Philips 32PW9525 Widescreen

I really want the best DVD player I can afford (usually £400, but I can save up in this case), but after the review, im sceptical as to whether or not the Pioneer would be overkill for my eyes and ears.

In all your humble opinions, would this DVD player work well with my system? Or if not, what player would?

Thanks everyone

-J

2. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 737 and it's awesome.

http://www.leconcepts.co.uk have them for £400 as well.

The new Pioneer 444 and 545 machines are getting good reviews. I've seen a 444 on my 2 metre screen and it's a close call. On a 32inch TV I seriously doubt you'd notice any difference. The 444 can be had for around £200 from-

http://www.avland.co.uk

Cheers,

Andy.

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Buy it. It will help improve your overall performance, not outclass it.
    The picture tweaks are great.
    It'll be good enough to outlast your system should you ever go up the ladder too.
    I've bought one and can see the improvement in pic quality over my Yamaha 795. That is a good player in its own right, but the 737 is better. You can never have too good a pic!!! And at £400, there is nothing to touch it, even this side of £1000.
    My next choice up would be the Arcam at £1600! Then it may be getting a bit OTT.:D

Plus, one 'very' handy feature is RGB loopthrough via the second scart. It's practically an upgrade for your TV! You could route Sky Digital to your TV in RGB too.

I promise you it'll be worth it.

5. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody!

I just need to save up now huh. So, when you say £400, do you mean from that www.leconcept.co.uk? Or has the thing come down in price, because I need to get my £200 center soon too. Thats gonna be 2 months wages worth almost.

Thanks,

-J

6. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 737 is being replaced with the 747. I suspect the price has come down in order to shift the old stock and make way for the new players. Very few places seem to have them any more.

http://www.leconcepts.com are advertising them for £399 plus a tenner for delivery, but they don't seem to have any in stock. http://www.hotkit.co.uk have them, but they want £450 + shipping. I suspect supplies of this player are running a bit thin so I'd get in there quick if you want one.

Andy.

7. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh God no! You mean the one I want is (technically) out of date?

So whats this 747 got that the 737 hasnt? Lets hope its just DVD Audio, because frankly I couldnt care less about that.

Thanks by the way Andy. Im glad you mentioned that. I need as much help on this choice as possible. The last thing I want to do is buy something thats gonna make me wish I bought the new one.

Thanks again!

-J

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
  9. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I was reading a review of the 737, and the summery mentioned something about...

"If you haven't got a progressive scan display, £700 might seem a bit steep for a player you won't get the full benefit of, but if you want the best things in life, you just have to pay for them."

Does that mean I need the right TV to get progressive scan?

I just cant win can I?

-J