1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 737 panning problem...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jasbyuk, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the Pioneer DV737, and as yet I am still trying to get the thing set up right.

The sound is fine now, but the picture, while as clear as crystal, is less than great. Especially when I was watching The X Files (as some of you know there can be quite a lot of panning across photographs and the like when Mulder and Scully are talking about science, aliens and dead people on tables).

Anyway, while the camara is moving across all these polaroids etc, there seems to be a 'ghosting / juddering / jittering'.

I cant think of any way to describe this any better, but I suspect that most of you can relate to my problem in some way or another.

I have a Philips widescreen TV, with 100Hz, Digital Scan, and Natural Motion (which smooths people walking for example, and I think id have to leave it on, otherwise I couldnt watch anything comfortably)

What exactly do all the picture settings do (on the DV737) - such as

1) PureCinema
    2) YNR (Brightness Noise Reduction)
    3) CNR (Colour Noise Reduction)
    4) MNR (Mosquito Noise Reduction)
    5) BNR (Block Noise Reduction)
    6) Sharpness High
    7) Sharpness Mid
    8) Detail
    9) White Level
    10) Black Level
    11) Black Setup
    12) Hue
    13) Chroma Level
    14) Chroma Delay

Especially the last two 'chroma' settings.

If someone with a lot of time on their hands can explain what these setting mean, and most of all do (with a little example :blush:), I would be so grateful I couldnt explain!

Thanks everybody for your help in advance!

Best Wishes,

-J!

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these players – cant say I’ve noticed a juddering…

As for chroma level and chroma delay – well the former can ad a considerable boost to the colour in your picture – in fact its very easy to put too much in. On a TV colour setting of about 53 I have the chroma level set at about 25%.

Chroma delay seems to shift the colour signal over the luminance signal. On my TV there is a slight problem with this, causing colour fringing, but chroma delay allows me to effectively correct it.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is the XFiles a R2 copy? If yes, then the artefact you describe is almost certainly a consequence of the conversion from NTSC to PAL (which occurs before the disc is mastered - so you can't cure it).

Player settings:

Pure Cinema - only relevant for Progressive Scan output from NTSC titles via the component output. Turns pro-scan on or off, or leaves it in "Auto" whereby the player detects a flag on the disc to tell it whether or not to deinterlace the image. Has no effect on S-video or composite signals, nor with PAL (eg R2) discs.

The four noise reductions - as their names would suggest, they are noise reducers. Best left at zero (unless you prefer it otherwise). See your manual for more info about what they are.

6, 7, and 8 - sharpness settings. Above the middle setting they artificially sharpen the image; below middle they soften it. Leave them in the middle (unless you prefer it otherwise).

White level - same effect as adjusting contrast on your TV.
    Black Level - same as adjusting brightness on the TV.
    Use these two to make the player's output match the picture you get from other, non-adjustable sources (like regular TV, VCR, etc) so that you don't have to tweak the TV every time you watch a DVD.

Black Setup - you will want 0 IRE, not 7.5.

Hue - changes the colour balance of the picture

Chroma Level - same as adjusting "colour" on your TV
    As with white & black levels - set this to match other sources.

Chroma Delay - A TV picture is always in two parts - a black and white detailed image, overlaid with a less detailed colour signal which "paints" the b&w picture to make it into colour. This control moves the colour part of the signal left or right in relation to the underlying black & white structure. Use it to correct inaccuracies in the TV where, say, a bright red object's colour is slightly to the left or right of its shape.