1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 737 PAL Progressive?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Skanky, Feb 16, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone found out if it can be done on this player?
    Thanks.

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    hope someone can find out as I have a 939 and am desperate..

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm not holding my breath. It 'may' be possible.
    You can always buy an Iscan Pro, but it's £750!

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    If I could find an Iscan locally this weekend I'd buy it..but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them around here

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What about 2nd hand? There were a few for sale in the proper classifieds. About £300+ I think. I found out everythingI need to know about it at www.dvdo.com/home.asp
    It includes compatibility lists aswell.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    thanks mate..
    I'm off to London this afternoon (Sunday) so I may pick one up if I can find one..:)

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well as a tester I've just tried my component outputs with my new cables.
    Firstly, wow, I'd forgotten how good prog scan is! Just shows I didn't pay attention the whole time at The Event.:)

The improvements over S Video is like night and day. I used Shrek as a test piece and the detail and quality improves no end.

Now here's the odd bit, are you reading MuseumSteve???? I tried my PAL disc of Armageddon to see what came out of the prog scan outputs, and there was a picture, a damn good one. But!! I can't tell if it's interlaced or somehow my player when modded (from Bolton Sound and Vision) can output PAL prog???? When I get my screen up, I'll be able to see more clearly. Anyone know an answer to this?

It wouldn't surprise me to find out it was interlaced, but I'd be happy with that. As for an IScan, well I'll see, as the pic on my old sheet (until I get my screen up this week) is bloody good. Filmic is the best way to say it. So if people are using higher quality kit with massive proc. power, then their pics have just got to be out of this world. I do remember the Barco Cine 7 demo!!!!

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Steve: we have a Iscan Pro in if you ever drop by. We have also got a 747 which I hope will have a software upgarde for PAL, it has had it's region sorted by that method.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I don't think it's PAL prog as it's not coming up on the fascia LED. NTSC discs flag it up, but not PAL.

Retro, are you on about upgrading the 747 to PAL prog then?
    Do you know of a 737 equivalent?
    Cheers.

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You heard me right General! Hopefully I'll find a way of upgrading the 747 to do PAL progressive. Can only really be through software.

No idea of a 737 version, I suspect they won't bother for now though. Bear in mind the Pioneer PDP's won't accept PAL proscan yet.

11. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello ReTro,

So, how confident are you that the 747 can be modified to provide PAL Progressive? is it in the region of certainty?

Reason I ask is that the 747 is virtually my ideal machine - the only thing missing is PAL progressive and for that reason it's an inch short of perfection. If this capability can be added as a follow-on, then I would be very, very interested in looking at this machine more closely.

Assuming that you have managed to get your hands on it, a few questions:

Can the on-board DD5.1 and DTS decoding be switched-off?

Is there a Bass Management option for DVD-A?

How does the video / audio performance stack up against the TAG Mclaren DVD32R? I know they are leagues apart in price, but how far apart in terms of performance?

Rgds

TS

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Guy

The easiest way to see if your Pioneer is outputting progressive pal, is to look in the PJ's menu, it should be flagged up 625P. Or 525p for ntsc progressive.

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I had a play around with the 747 at work today. The multiregion mod hadn't worked, or someone had changed our demo machine, not sure which yet.

If the menu is set to output proscan through the component video outputs it will still output interlaced video when PAL discs are used.

You can choose to output audio throguh either 2ch or 5.1ch analogue, you can also turn the digital outputs off.

Bass management is good (not sure what it applies to) except one thing! The front speakers have to be LARGE! No use in our small AV demo room then (M&K K3 sub-sat system).

Video performance is good, bette than the 737, but not as good as an Arcam fMj DV27 (£1,600). Audio is way down on the Mj, to be expceted really, though it is good at the price (not quite a DV88 though). I played it to our analogue guy (he does all the vinyl stuff (Linn, Naim, Rega etc)), and he was not very impressed with it's CD or SACD playback, we were comparing the CD with a Linn Genki CD player (£1k).

It's the best Jap DVD player I've used, (previous best was a Denon DVD-5000).

I'd still rather have a Arcam DV88 with both proscan and DVD-A cards though (if you don't need/want SACD).