1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 737 or Toshiba SD510E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Me, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know the Pioneer 737 costs more than the Toshiba510e but does it seriously out perform it. Is it worth the extra money. Does anyone have experience of both of these progressive players.
    Mark

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I have the 510e connected to my panasonic ptae and I am very happy with the ntsc progressive no pal progressive though:(

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The 737 will not do pal pro either, try sending General Skanky a message for info on the Pioneer, he has one hooked up to his AE100.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello. :)

I really love my 737. It's like the last stop at ok money for a really good player before you hit the likes of Arcam, Toshiba, Tag etc.

It does give an truely cinematic picture. I couldn't praise it's abilities enough. Prog scan output is excellent. Because I paid £390 for it from Bolton sound and Vision multi region it was a true bargain. If I'd paid £700 I wouldn't be so sure.

There are players out now that do it all, inlc. Pal prog scan that you should look at. It all depends on price too and how much you have to spend. Of course, I'm assuming you've got a prog input on your pj/TV??

Tim and others have been at players like the Lecson for £200!
    How good do you want to go?

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Forget the lecson, its a Donkey!

6. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks. General Skanky. The sort of money you spent on the Pioneer is the kind of money I am looking to spend. I was just wondering if the new Toshiba is any good compared to the Pioneer. It would save me a few quid, or would I regret not spending a few pennies more?? I am using a couple of players at the moment. A Sony CX850 which I love, excellent picture and an Pioneer 606 which is getting on a bit now but still gives a good picture. I wanted to add a progressive scan model 'to my collection' to use with the Sanyo projector.
    Mark

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Do you have the Sanyo plv-30, if so, it has problems with some progressive players.
    If you are interested in the Toshiba, I could test it with my Brothers Sanyo plv-30 to see if it gets the dreaded blue screen on bright flash's.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I upgraded from a Yamaha S795. A very fine player. I didn't believe it would be that obvious a difference, but it is.
    The Pioneer has loads of picture tweaks that really do make a difference.
    I can't comment on the Toshiba, but the Pioneer is really the dog's whatsits for the money.
    Toshiba make good players. However, at this level they are chasing the 737.

If you are buying blind then the 737 won't let you down. If however you go to toshiba, so be it. No problem there either. I just think you'll get more for your money featues and performance wise with the 737.

It has coax and optical out. 2 x S Video and composite out. Component out with menu selection or a switch at the back. Auto PAL/NTSC output. Very well built. Loads of menu tweaks. Easily multi region. You get the idea.:)

9. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Timh

Just how bad is this blue ficker prob? As i will hopefully be hooking up the sd510 to a clone of the plv-30. I would appreciate you testing it with your brothers sanyo, as if it dosn't work then I'll just buy the sd110 and feeding it interlaced (no need to get rid of my r2 collection then either :D

Cheers
    j

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The problem with the Sanyo and progressive scan is something to do with the progressive chip, it first came to light with the iscan pro causing a blue screen with the sanyo, I believe the iscan was modified to cure this.
    As I said it did do the blue screen when I hooked up my Lecson to the plv-30, it may not do it with the Toshiba, time will tell.
    My Brother uses componant interlaced with the Sanyo, he is very happy with the picture quality he has from his Toshiba 110.
    Lets see what he says when I hook my new 510 up to it.

11. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Timh
    thanks, but yikes :eek: :eek: :eek:

never thought there would be any prob with this, as the sanyo internal video procesor is pretty good isn't it??

glad I spoke to you first!

regards
    j

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes, the sanyo does have good video processing, probably better than my Panasonic.

If you saw the blue screen problem you would be quite surprised, you end up missing half the film.

13. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Timh
    Could you let me know how does the interlaced plv-30 compare with the progressive input of the ae100?

Wow, now you have me worried :(:(

J

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes, I will let you know what it is like.
    If you do a search for posts by Buns, you may find more info on the blue screen effect, he has the plv-30.

15. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I really dont like about the 737 is the way it pauses when it reaches the layer change, just for half a second. I really dont think a player that is supposed to be high class should pause like that. I certainly would not pay 4-600 for it, however pick one up for less than 300 and it is fine.

Regards

Der Pobman