Pioneer 737, did I screw up?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Wall, Feb 6, 2001.

1. The Wall

The Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, my very first post here and already I am looking for answers. Just ordered(won't show up until next week) a pioneer 737, read a lot of good things about it and thought that it would work well with my 52inch widescreen tv [​IMG] Now I am just wondering if anybody has this player and can reassure me that I made the right choice. Also thought about the Sony 735. Did I do the right thing here guys? Anybody? [​IMG]

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Pioneer 737 is suppose to be one fantastic player! Ofcourse you made the right decision. Where did you order it from by the way and how much did you spend?

Thanks

Gareth H

3. The Wall

The Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought it in Sweden, it was about 900 US Dollars. All regions of course. Pretty expensive but I just bought a new Thomson 52inch widescreen tv so I was really looking for the player with the best picture. Withing reason of course. So I am hoping this is the one [​IMG]

4. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ive got the Pioneer 717 and although its broken right now (the disc tray wont open) ive been very happy with it.

Ive also got a new Sony 9000es player, and LOVE that, but quite frankly, the difference in picture quality isnt huge compared to my old Pioneer.

Im not sure if youre TV is compatible, but you may be able to connect the 737 using the component connections...this would result in a (slightly) better picture than RGB.

The 737 also has Progressive Scan, but I dont think your TV has that capability (its mainly projection screens here in the UK that have this facility)

Anyway, dont worry, youve got a great, top end player..you'll love it.

5. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I am the proud owner of the 737, purchased mainly because of its progressive scan capability and because I was fed up with my wharfdale not working with certain discs! I am sure you will be happy with it - both the sound and picture quality are excellent. I am however still working my way through the manual!

6. The Wall

The Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's for all the input guys. Makes me very happy. It's gonna be a long week until it actually arrives, especially since I sold my old player yesterday so now I have none [​IMG] I was thinking about hooking the machine up with a s-videocabel,is this the best way? I watch mainly reg 1 movies and my new tv doesn't have any of the fancy progressive scan connections. It's a rear projection so picture is extra important.

7. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    SVHS is pretty good, but RGB is the BEST way to connect to your tv.

You need to get a decent quality, fully wired Scart cable, and hook it up the RGB compatible socket on the back of your TV.

Most tv's these days seem to have at least ONE RGB compatible scart socket, and I would HIGHLY reccomend you use this!

If you dont have that, then SVHS is the next best.
    Hope this helps!

8. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's S-Video rather than S-VHS I think.

?

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,501
    Yes, it's surprising how many people - and worse - manufacturers make that mistake.
    S-VHS is a video tape format.
    S-Video is the type of video connection.
    It's like saying your main socket is compatible with your water tap !

10. The Wall

The Wall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god I said s-video then [​IMG])