1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 720 - no sound on AV2 connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mikey45, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I have an NTL box connected to (1) Toshiba TV AV1 and (2) Pio720 via its AV2 scart. The '720's AV1 outputs to AV3 on the Tosh which also has Sony VCR on AV2. Also have RF loopthrough from NTL -> 720 -> TV.

I can record off of NTL (presumably via the RF signal) but the on-screen signal says "Mono" for the sound source. When I select AV2 as the record input channel it then says "Stereo" on-screen, the PQ is obviously better but no actual soundtrack is recorded when the programme is played back!

Reason I haven't (yet) plugged primary NTL scart into 720 (and onto TV) is to make it slightly easier for the kids to use NTL services when I'm out!

Any suggestions as to why this is happening!?
    TIA, Mike

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    have you tried setting the 720 Audio In in the Initial Settings to Regular instead of Nicam? See page 103 of manual.
    Also see p 29 about the Audio button on the remote.

3. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eddy -
    yes, I've tried audio set to both regular and Nicam and it didn't make any differnce, same as the RC audio button doesn't either :(
    Mike

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This may sound daft, but are the scart plugs pushed firmly home? The audio pins are clustered at the cable end of the plug and if it is off square they might miss the contacts.
    Also, if you sat box has Dolby sound you may need to fiddle with 720 Audio Out (page 104)

5. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Eddy, not daft at all!
    It WAS the cable! Sound - claiming to be in dolby digital - now being recorded OK :) My scart leads at not of premium quality - how much difference do quality cables make and can anyone recommend a not too expensive brand!
    Mike

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have 3 cheap scarts and one decent one (I think - it came with Sony TV), but I can't tell the difference. If I go for good cables they will be Ixos XHT601. I can't use flat ones because there isn't room behind the TV, and anyway its scarts are set vertically so 'side entry' cables point down.

Look at the thread "More scart questions" in the Cables and Cabling forum.