Pioneer 720 editing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter Kendrick, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the reasons for getting the 720 was the DV in. I wanted to use it to edit my camcorder tapes and save them to DVD. When I use "erase section" and play the edit back it freezes for a split second and loses the sound. Anyone else experienced this and how can you work around it.

The manual suggests the function is to erase commercial breaks. It is not too bad when you are changing scene but no good in the same scene

Any help out there?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Unfortunately no DVD recorder is able to achieve perfect edits, this is due to a limitation with the DVD recording format, it was never designed for editing.

The only way to get true non-linear editing with frame by frame accuracy of DV material is on a computer.

You may be able to improve matters on the DVD recorder by turning on Seamless playback.

Regards

Philip

3. Peter Kendrick

Peter Kendrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Phil,
    Thanks for that. I found a seamless playback switch in the setup. It makes a good edit, just a little quiet millisecond. Agreed it is not as good as using my PC however the tradeoff is that it is far simpler and quicker.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Just a warning on using Seemless Playback on your Pioneer - depending on what recording mode you use it can be very deceptive - it will make edits appear smooth and accurate on the Pioneer but will leave unwanted frames in the recording that will be visible when you play the disc back on other DVD player. You obviously need to decide whether that is preferrable to a pause as it skips to the next scene. I generally recommend Seemless Playback is set to OFF for this very reason.

Good results can, of course, be achieved - but I strongly urge you to conduct a full series of tests to determine what gets the best results for you. Ensure you dub the tests to a DVD-R/RW (Video Mode) to see how that play on other DVD players.