Pioneer 720 cable question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mikey45, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I bought a Pioneer 720 as my first DVD recorder and am very pleased with it but not sure that I have cabled it correctly and seek forum advice!

My Toshiba 32ZD98B TV set has 3 Scart inputs but I believe only the first supports RGB input and the other are 'standard av'. It also has S Video input on the rear. My NTL digital cable box plugs into Scart 1 and the second NTL output goes to the Pioneers 'in/out' scart.

The Pioneer output scart connects to the TVs Scart 3 input and my Sony VCR connects to Scart 2.

I have a good RF amplified splitter and one goes direct to the VCR and a second goes into the NTL and onto the Pioneer and finally onto the TV RF input.

Do I need to have these RF loopthroughs or would each component be better served having its own direct RF input?

And do I have the Scart connections set correctly?

TIA, Mike

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You'd be better off with the DVD recorder sitting between the NTL box and the TV:

NTL TV Out >>> Input on the 720 and the Output >>> TV EXT1 (RGB Input)

This would enable you to record in RGB quality and watch NTL/DVDs (etc) in RGB quality. The second output on your NTL box isn't RGB compatible - but you can connect that to the TV (EXT2/3) so you can watch NTL (in composite) when recording from the internal tuner on your Pioneer.

The RF picture is very poor no matter what so I would suggest keeping that part of your setup as is.

3. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, I'll try recabling tomorrow!

would you suggest using the NTL box as source for BBC1, ITV recordings or is the internal Pioneer tuner OK for this?

cheers, Mike

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I don't have NTL but I'm almost certain that the PQ will be better via the Digibox than the internal tuner! My preference for recording from the BBC is Freeview, then Sky and last option would be RF. For ITV the bitrates tend to be so low there is little difference between Sky and Freeview but still miles better than RF.

Still it all depends: for recording watch and wipe stuff then the internal tuner is nice to have if there is something that clashes on NTL...

5. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not want to make a separate thread to avoid the mess in this forum, so;

1) Can 520 copy the names of the TV stations ( from TV Text ) when downloading them for a first time.
    a) using smart link or similar system
    b) when the RF input is used to transfer TV Statins to DVD Recorder ?
    c ) can 520 transfer the name of recorded program from TV Text ( the names of recorded program ) and display it in the " Disc Navigator " ?

510 can NOT if " smart link " is used.

Thanks

BTW. And yes I have 520 but i can miss sth. to get an answer.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If your non-RGB TV and the second NTL output scarts support s-video, that would be better than composite.